Calculating Distance Traveled from Acceleration and Velocity Relation

• Thread starter gnarly
  • Start date
In summary, the acceleration of a particle is defined by the relation a=-k(v)^2. The particle starts at x=0 with a velocity of 20 m/s. At x=100 m its velocity is 15 m/s. The distance traveled by the particle (starting from x=0) is before its velocity drops to 10 m/s and before it comes to rest.
gnarly

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle is defined by the relation

a=-k(v)^2 k is a constant.

The particle starts at x=0 with a velocity of 20 m/s. At x=100 m its velocity is 15 m/s

Determine the distance traveled by the particle (starting from x=0)
A) before its velocity drops to 10 m/s

B)before it comes to rest.

This is the only problem in college I encountered that I couldn't solve. I took calculus 3 it seems to be so simple yet I have no idea how to solve. I don't get how I can find the position without the time traveled. I don't get how acceleration can be dependent on the velocity. I spent so many hours tryying to solve this. It seems like i could integrate a twice to obtain the position function but that turns out to be wrong. I can't believe that math class seems so easy to me but i can't even solve the math problems in a standard first year physics class. This seems to be a differential equations problem but it can't be as its in a first year physics class. Sorry i couldn't really attempt a solution because i don't know where to begin. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
a=dv/dt. So you've got dv/dt=(-kv^2). That's a separable ODE. Solve for v first. Then integrate v to get the position.

So you're given that

[tex]a = -k*v^2[/tex]

but

[tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = -k*v^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{v^2} = -k dt[/tex]

etc.

When you integrate, make sure to incorporate your as one of the limits.

You'll have to pull this trick again to find the distance expression. After that it's just mixing and matching the formulae and given values to solve for k, then on to the particular cases.

1. How do you determine the traveled distance?

To determine the traveled distance, you need to know the starting point and the ending point. Measure the distance between the two points using a measuring tool such as a ruler or a measuring tape.

2. What is the formula for determining the traveled distance?

The formula for determining the traveled distance is distance = speed x time. This means that the distance traveled is equal to the product of the speed at which an object is moving and the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. Can you use GPS to determine the traveled distance?

Yes, GPS (Global Positioning System) can be used to determine the traveled distance. It uses a network of satellites to accurately calculate the distance between two points on the Earth's surface.

4. How do you determine the traveled distance when the route is not a straight line?

When the route is not a straight line, you can still determine the traveled distance by breaking down the route into smaller segments and calculating the distance for each segment. Then, you can add all the distances together to get the total traveled distance.

5. Are there any limitations to determining the traveled distance?

Yes, there are some limitations to determining the traveled distance. Factors such as terrain, weather conditions, and accuracy of measuring tools can affect the accuracy of the calculated distance. Additionally, in some cases, it may not be possible to determine the traveled distance due to lack of information or resources.