Determine values of h - augmented matrix

• Thread starter Boxiom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, you tried to solve the homework problem but you didn't know how to start. You calculated the coefficients and found that they were consistent if h was 20.
Boxiom

Homework Statement

YnEsHEY.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to get it on reduced echelon form, but I haven't done problems like this before so I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? Show us the row operations you've done so we can work from there.

The thing is I don't know where to start. By multiplying with -4 and adding to second row, I have:

1 5 -4
0 20-h 0

And this doesn't really tell me anything, as I have never done matrix with variables before.

Ignore the augmented -column.

What condition must hold with the matrix of coefficients in order for the system to be consistent? (hint: it involves a determinant)

Boxiom said:
The thing is I don't know where to start. By multiplying with -4 and adding to second row, I have:

1 5 -4
0 20-h 0

And this doesn't really tell me anything, as I have never done matrix with variables before.

You didn't calculate that properly. Try again.

Woops, I meant -20+h.

Yes that was the answer I was looking for, but in this case, it doesn't matter since you could just multiply by -1. So,

Rewriting the last row in terms of variables, we have:

##0*x + (h - 20)*y = 0##
##(h - 20)*y = 0##

Recall that ##a*b = 0## if and only if ##a = 0## or ##b = 0##. One case is that ##y = 0## and that would yield a consistent solution. What must be the second one?

So if h is 20 the solution would also be consistent?

Yup, that's correct. Notice that plugging in ##h = 20##, and then row reducing, we get a row of only ##0s## which is consistent. If ##h## was anything but 20, we would have the 2nd row look like: ##0 \ r \ | \ 0## which is inconsistent for any ##r \in \mathbb{R}, r \not = 0##.

Alright, that made sense. Thanks for the help :)

Related to Determine values of h - augmented matrix

What is an augmented matrix?

An augmented matrix is a way to represent a system of linear equations. It is a matrix that includes both the coefficients of the variables and the constants of the equations in a single table.

How do I determine the values of h in an augmented matrix?

To determine the values of h in an augmented matrix, you need to use row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form. This will allow you to solve for the variables, including h, by back substitution.

Can I use any row operations to reduce the augmented matrix?

Yes, you can use any of the three elementary row operations: multiplying a row by a nonzero constant, swapping two rows, or adding a multiple of one row to another row. These operations do not change the solution of the system of equations.

What if the augmented matrix has no solution?

If the augmented matrix has no solution, it means that the system of equations is inconsistent and there is no set of values that satisfies all of the equations. This could happen if the equations are contradictory or if there are more variables than equations.

Can I use software to determine the values of h in an augmented matrix?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can solve systems of equations and reduce matrices to their reduced row echelon form. However, it is important to understand the process and steps involved in determining the values of h in an augmented matrix.