1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether the sequence converges or diverges and find the limit

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether the sequence an = 11/n2 = 21/n2 + ... + n1/n2 converges or diverges. If it converges, find the limit.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea what to do with this problem. I don't see why I can't simplify n/n^2 to 1/n. It was suggested to me to factor out 1/n and introduce the variable i (from Riemann Sums), but I don't see how that helps (and I don't see how I would just introduce i anyway).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Factor out the 1/n^2. Can you write an expression for the sum (1+2+...+n)?

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    I'm not really sure what you mean.

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I meant pretty much what I said. an=(1/n^2)*(1+2+...+n), right? Perhaps you know a formula for (1+2+...+n) in terms of n? If not, and you know how to integrate you can also do it as a Riemann sum. Can you write down a Riemann sum for the function f(x)=x between 0 and 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook