Determining an empirical formula

• Thread starter {~}
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, to turn a ratio into an empirical formula, you need to write the decimal numbers as the ratio of small whole numbers and then multiply each fraction by a whole number to get whole-number coefficients. If you can't get small whole numbers, there may be something wrong with the molecule or an error was made.
{~}
If I know the percentage by weight of elements in a formula I can calculate the relative ratios of atoms in the formula no problem.

What I can't figure out is how to turn that ratio into an empirical formula.

To put it mathematically how do I turn a decimal number into a an approximate fraction of small integers?

#.## = ?/?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You should be able to write those decimal numbers as the ratio of small whole numbers.*** For example, 1.25=5/4, 0.67=2/3, etc.

After you convert all the decimals to small-number ratios, multiply every fraction by a whole number to get whole-number-coefficients.

*** If you can't get small whole numbers, then something is fishy. Either the molecule is very complex, or there was an error made somewhere. For introductory chemistry problems, it should always work out to small whole numbers.

What is an empirical formula?

An empirical formula is the simplest whole-number ratio of atoms in a compound. It shows the relative number of atoms of each element present in a compound.

How is the empirical formula determined?

The empirical formula is determined by finding the amount of each element in a compound and converting it to moles. Then, the moles are divided by the lowest number of moles to get the smallest whole-number ratio.

What is the difference between empirical and molecular formula?

The empirical formula shows the simplest whole-number ratio of atoms in a compound, while the molecular formula shows the actual number of atoms of each element in a compound.

Can a compound have the same empirical and molecular formula?

Yes, a compound can have the same empirical and molecular formula if the compound is made up of only one type of atom, like H2 or O2.

What information do you need to determine the empirical formula?

To determine the empirical formula, you need to know the mass (or percentage) of each element in the compound.