How do you determine convergence of a series?

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in understanding how to determine if a series is convergent or divergent. They provide two examples, one using the integral test for convergence and the other using the comparison test. They are hoping for an explanation in order to better understand the concept. They also ask if the sequence of partial sums increasing always means that the series will diverge, and if the sequence of partial sums decreasing means the series will converge.
arl146
I just need to know how you determine if a series of convergent or divergent. I have this example in which I know is divergent I just don't know why: summation (n=1 to infinity) 1/(2n)

The first couple of terms are 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/6 + 1/8 + ...

Up until that point, it's already beyond equaling 1. Dont know if that means anything.

Another example is summation (k=2 to infinity) (k^2)/((k^2)-1) also divergent

Hoping if someone explains it to me with these examples that I'll understand better. Please help so I can learn this!

Physics news on Phys.org
arl146 said:
I just need to know how you determine if a series of convergent or divergent. I have this example in which I know is divergent I just don't know why: summation (n=1 to infinity) 1/(2n)

The first couple of terms are 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/6 + 1/8 + ...

Up until that point, it's already beyond equaling 1. Dont know if that means anything.

You should use the integral test for convergence for this kind of series.

arl146 said:
Another example is summation (k=2 to infinity) (k^2)/((k^2)-1) also divergent

Hoping if someone explains it to me with these examples that I'll understand better. Please help so I can learn this!
Well, I'm not sure if you made a typo here... But you can immediately see that the terms ak>1 for all k, so you know that
[tex] \sum_{k=2}^N a_k \ge \sum_{k=2}^N 1[/tex]

Your series is
[tex]\sum \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{n}= \frac{1}{2}\sum\frac{1}{n}[/tex]
That's the "harmonic series" which is well known to be divergent (by the integral test as clamtrox suggests).

For all k, [itex]k^2/(k^2- 1)> k^2/k^2= 1[/itex] and, of course, [itex]\sum 1[/itex] diverges so by the comparison test the original series diverges.

Last edited by a moderator:
well up to this point, this is the first section on series. therefore, we haven't met the integral test for convergence just yet. and not sure what you mean on a typo ...

HallsofIvy said:
For all k, [itex]k^2/(k^2- 1)> k^2/k^2= 1[/itex] and, of course, [itex]\sum 1[/itex[ diverges so by the comparison test the original series diverges.

i don't understand what youre saying

I don't see that you had a typo - it looked fine to me.

For your second series, HallsOfIvy is saying that each term of your series is larger than 1, and the series $$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}1 = 1 + 1 + 1 + ... + 1 + ...$$ diverges, because the sequence of partial sums keeps increasing. Since that series diverges, and since each term of the series you're interested in is larger, then your series diverges, too. This is the comparison test in action.

so is it always that if the sequence of partial sums increases, the series in the problem diverges. but does it work the other way around, like if the sequence of partial sums decreases, the series in the problem converges?

What is convergence and why is it important?

Convergence is the process by which a sequence of numbers or values approaches a fixed value or limit. It is important because it helps us determine if a series or sequence is approaching a specific value or if it is diverging.

How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, we use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests help us analyze the behavior of the series and determine if it is approaching a specific value or if it is diverging.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series or sequence that converges regardless of the order in which the terms are arranged. On the other hand, conditional convergence refers to a series or sequence that only converges when the terms are arranged in a specific order. In other words, the terms of a conditionally convergent series may add up to different values depending on the order in which they are added.

How do you use the limit comparison test to determine convergence?

The limit comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence of a series by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series. We take the limit of the ratio of the terms of the two series and if the limit is a positive, finite number, then both series have the same behavior and either both converge or both diverge.

What is the role of convergence in real-world applications?

Convergence plays a crucial role in various real-world applications, such as in finance, engineering, and physics. For example, in finance, convergence is used to determine the value of an investment over time. In engineering, it is used to analyze the stability and accuracy of numerical methods. In physics, convergence is used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems.