Determining depth & volume relationship with bathymetry data

The key is to understand the data contained in the table.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bathymetry data to determine the depth-area-volume relationship of a lake. The speaker is trying to find the volume as a function of depth, but is unsure if they can use the same function as the one used for the area-volume relationship. They are also trying to consider the effects of upstream water use on the lake's water balance. The expert suggests using the "area-volume relationship" to determine the volume as a function of depth, and explains that calculus is not necessary for this task. The key is understanding the data in the table.
Jannie
I have Bathymetry data which gives the depth-area-volume relationship of a lake. I have determined the area-volume relationship using the function Area=A*Vol^B. Now I'm not sure how to determine the similar relationship between depth and volume. Can I use the same function i.e. Depth=A*Vol^B? I want the volume as the output (as I have a time series of water depth measurements that I want to convert to volumes). If I can use the same function, is this the correct way to rearrange it in excel - Volume=EXP((LN(Depth/A))/B).

This is probably a lot easier than I am making it, :-(

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Some context might help. I was unaware that lakes had depth-area-volume relationships. What is a depth-area-volume relationship?

I'm guessing you mean: You have a series of measurements of the depth of the lake. You know the surface area as a function of the volume of the lake. And you want to convert that to volume as a function of depth.

If that is the case then, no, the same function will not do. The volume V at depth D is the integral of the area R from depth 0 to depth D.

## V(D) = \int_0^D R(s) ds ##

But you have the area as a function of the volume. So you have:

## dV(s)/ds = R = A V^B ##

So you could solve this equation for ##V(s)##, noting that ##V(0)=0## is your boundary condition. (Empty lake has zero volume.)

Thank you. That is very helpful! And yes you guessed right, I want the volume as a function of depth. I will be revisiting my very rusty calculus.Thanks again!

If you assume that the lake has the same depth all around, or, equivalently, are finding the average depth, then the average depth is simply the volume divided by the surface area. I don't know where you got "Area=A*Vol^B" or even what it means.

HallsofIvy said:
If you assume that the lake has the same depth all around, or, equivalently, are finding the average depth, then the average depth is simply the volume divided by the surface area. I don't know where you got "Area=A*Vol^B" or even what it means.

It means that the lake has an area that depends on the depth it is filled, and in a very particular way.

If you work with reservoirs behind dams then this sort of thing might be quite useful. For example, evaporation is, very approximately, proportional to area. So there is some interest in keeping the area of the lake small. However, recreation such as sailing wants the lake to have large area. And the volume in the lake is one estimate of the utility of the lake. If you are using the lake for irrigation, for example, then the volume is the ability to produce irrigation. On the other hand, if you are generating electricity you are more interested in the depth, since the column of water is what gets you pressure to drive the turbines.

So formulas such as these would be useful in managing the fill level of a lake behind a dam.

Yes, the lake does not have the same depth all round, and using the average depth would not give me the detail I need. I am looking at the effects of upstream water use on a lake with declining water levels and am therefore trying to determine the water balance of the lake under natural and altered conditions. To get a sensible estimation of lake evaporation, I need to know how the surface area of the lake changes with decreasing volume (a shallow lake will have a large surface area to volume ratio and a deep ravine type lake would have a small surface area to volume ratio). DEvens has helped me to use the "area-volume relationship" of the lake to determine the volume as a function of the depth.

As I understand it you have a table of data with each row containing three numbers representing (depth, area, volume). These data will have been established by measurement of depth (Bathymetry) for each cell in a grid from which a (numerical) model of the lake has been constructed.

It is important to realize that in this table depth refers to the depth of the lake measured from some arbitrary point (possibly the deepest point of the lake) and is not the average depth.

Given any known parameter (depth, area or volume), simply finding the corresponding row of the table enables you to find the other two corresponding parameters (with interpolation if necessary).

Calculus is neither necessary or helpful here.

1. How is bathymetry data collected?

Bathymetry data is collected using a variety of methods, including sonar, LiDAR, and satellite imagery. Sonar uses sound waves to measure the depth of the ocean floor, while LiDAR uses lasers to map the seafloor. Satellite imagery can also be used to determine the depth and volume of the ocean by measuring the color and reflectivity of the water's surface.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of bathymetry data?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of bathymetry data, including the type of equipment used, weather conditions, and the presence of underwater features such as reefs or canyons. Additionally, the depth and clarity of the water can also impact the accuracy of the data collected.

3. How is depth measured using bathymetry data?

Depth is measured using sound waves in the sonar method or lasers in the LiDAR method. These waves or lasers bounce off the seafloor and return to the sensor, providing an accurate measurement of the depth at that specific location. This process is repeated multiple times to create a detailed map of the ocean floor.

4. Can bathymetry data be used to determine the volume of an ocean?

Yes, bathymetry data can be used to determine the volume of an ocean by combining the depth measurements with the surface area of the ocean. This can be done using mathematical formulas and calculations to estimate the volume of water in a specific area.

5. How can bathymetry data be useful in scientific research?

Bathymetry data is crucial in understanding the topography of the seafloor and can provide valuable information for various scientific research purposes. It can be used to study ocean currents, marine life habitats, and the effects of climate change on ocean depths. It is also essential for navigation and mapping of underwater features for various industries, such as fishing and oil exploration.