Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Determining Drag Coefficient

1. Feb 22, 2006 #1
    A fire helicopter carries a 560-kg bucket at the end of a cable 20.6 m long as in the figure below. As the helicopter flies to a fire at a constant speed of 39.2 m/s ,the cable makes an angle of 39.6 with respect to the vertical. The bucket presents a cross-sectional area of [tex]3.96m^2[/tex] in a plane perpendicular to the air moving past it. Determine the drag coefficient, assuming that the resistive force is proportional to the square of the bucket's speed.

I've got that [tex]C_d = 2mg / (V_T)^2A\rho[/tex], but I don't know how to find the terminal velocity of the bucket to find the coefficient of drag. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2006 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need to use the terminal verlocity at all, but a more general expression for the force of friction. You have enough information to determine the force of friction, and you know the airspeed.

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3
    But the equation for the force of friction is [tex]f_f = \mu N[/tex]. I don't know the coefficent of friction.... unless it's 1 since it's flying through the air?

5. Feb 23, 2006 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Remember Newton's 1st Law!

[tex] \sum F_{x} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \sum F_{y} =0 [/tex]

6. Feb 23, 2006 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, what I meant is that you need a more general expression for drag (rather than friction). You should be able to calculate the force that the drag exerts and work from there.

7. Feb 23, 2006 #6
    What do you mean a more general equation for drag? That's all my book gives me....

8. Feb 23, 2006 #7

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Try

[tex] F_{drag} = \frac{C_{D}}{A} \frac{\rho v^2}{2} [/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook