How to Calculate Drag Coefficient for a Fire Helicopter's Bucket?

In summary, a fire helicopter with a 560-kg bucket at the end of a cable 20.6 m long, flying at a constant speed of 39.2 m/s, and an angle of 39.6 degrees with respect to the vertical, has a cross-sectional area of 3.96m^2 perpendicular to the air moving past it. To determine the drag coefficient, we can use the equation C_d = 2mg / (V_T)^2A\rho, where the resistive force is proportional to the square of the bucket's speed. However, we can also use the more general equation for drag, F_{drag} = \frac{C_{D}}{A} \frac{\rho
finlejb
A fire helicopter carries a 560-kg bucket at the end of a cable 20.6 m long as in the figure below. As the helicopter flies to a fire at a constant speed of 39.2 m/s ,the cable makes an angle of 39.6 with respect to the vertical. The bucket presents a cross-sectional area of [tex]3.96m^2[/tex] in a plane perpendicular to the air moving past it. Determine the drag coefficient, assuming that the resistive force is proportional to the square of the bucket's speed.

I've got that [tex]C_d = 2mg / (V_T)^2A\rho[/tex], but I don't know how to find the terminal velocity of the bucket to find the coefficient of drag. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• bucket.JPG
    bucket.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 793
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to use the terminal verlocity at all, but a more general expression for the force of friction. You have enough information to determine the force of friction, and you know the airspeed.

But the equation for the force of friction is [tex]f_f = \mu N[/tex]. I don't know the coefficent of friction... unless it's 1 since it's flying through the air?

Remember Newton's 1st Law!

[tex] \sum F_{x} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \sum F_{y} =0 [/tex]

Sorry, what I meant is that you need a more general expression for drag (rather than friction). You should be able to calculate the force that the drag exerts and work from there.

What do you mean a more general equation for drag? That's all my book gives me...

Try

[tex] F_{drag} = \frac{C_{D}}{A} \frac{\rho v^2}{2} [/tex]

1. What is drag coefficient?

Drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that is used to quantify the drag or resistance of an object moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It is a measure of the effectiveness of the object's shape in overcoming the resistance of the fluid.

2. How is drag coefficient determined?

Drag coefficient is determined through experiments and calculations using data collected from those experiments. The most common method is by using wind tunnel testing, where the object's drag is measured at different speeds and angles. This data is then used to calculate the drag coefficient using specific equations.

3. What factors affect the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient of an object is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the roughness of the object's surface. The object's orientation and the presence of any protrusions or irregularities can also affect the drag coefficient.

4. Why is determining drag coefficient important?

Determining drag coefficient is important in various fields, such as aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, and vehicle design. It allows engineers and scientists to predict the drag of an object and optimize its shape and design to reduce drag and improve performance. It is also crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects moving through fluids.

5. Can the drag coefficient of an object change?

Yes, the drag coefficient of an object can change depending on the factors mentioned earlier. For example, changing the shape or orientation of an object can significantly alter its drag coefficient. Additionally, the drag coefficient can also be affected by environmental conditions, such as changes in air temperature or pressure. Therefore, it is essential to consider these factors when determining the drag coefficient of an object.