Determining if sets are in the subspace

In summary: If you have a vector a = (x1, y1) that is in B, will any scalar multiple of it also be in B?a^2(x^2+y^2)<=1if x and y are equal to 0 or a=0, then it would be true.
Renzokuken

Homework Statement

is B in subspace R^2
B=[x] :x^2+y^2<=1
[y]

Homework Equations

1.0∈B
2.if u,v∈B u+v∈B
3.if u∈A a∈B then au∈B

The Attempt at a Solution

The <= is confusing me. I am not sure if i am suppose to treat it like an equal sign, or is it automatically not in the subspace?

if i treat it like a equal sign
0^2+0^2=0
u^2+uv+v^2 + u^2+uv+v^2 = 0
0+0=0
(au)^2+(au)^2=0
0^2+0^2=0
so B is in R^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Renzokuken said:

Homework Statement

is B in subspace R^2
B=[x] :x^2+y^2<=1
[y]
No, that makes no sense. You are asked to determine whether or not B is a subspace of R2.

Homework Equations

1.0∈B
2.if u,v∈B u+v∈B
3.if u∈A a∈B then au∈B
Please do not use "special symbols"; they don't show up on all net-readers. Either use LaTex like [itex]0\in B[/itex] or write
1. 0 is in B.
2. if u and v are in B, then u+ v is in V
3. if a is in R and u is in B then au is in B.
Notice (3). What you wrote doesn't make sense because you did not say what "A" is. Also, if you have already used "u" to mean a vector, don't use it again to mean a number.
Finally, you don't need to prove (1). If (3) is true for any number a, take a= 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

The <= is confusing me. I am not sure if i am suppose to treat it like an equal sign, or is it automatically not in the subspace?
Why would that confuse you? it means "all pairs (x,y) such that x2+ y2 is less than or equal to 1. And why would you think it is either "an equal sign" or "automatically not in the subspace"?
if i treat it like a equal sign
0^2+0^2=0
Which is NOT equal to 1 is it? So (0,0) would not be in this set. If this were only "=" this would immediately NOT be a subspace of R2. But because 0< 1 and the problem DOES say "<= 1", you don't know yet.

u^2+uv+v^2 + u^2+uv+v^2 = 0
What? Where did you get this? I thought for moment you were doing (u+ v)2+ (u+ v)2 but that would not give you this. And why 0 on the right?

0+0=0
(au)^2+(au)^2=0
0^2+0^2=0
so B is in R^2
No! if u is a vector, then u= (x, y) and au= (ax, ay). You want to show that (ax)2+ (ay)2<= 1, not (au)^2+ (au)^2! In a vector space only addition of vectors and multiplication of vectors by numbers is defined, not multiplication of two vectors and so (au)2 makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you have given us the problem's exact wording. I believe that the problem's wording is something like this:
Let B = {(x, y): x^2 + y^2 <= 1}
Is B a subspace of R^2?

Please take a closer look at the problem as defined in your book.

You are confused about what you are supposed to do. Apparently you are trying to determine whether vectors are "in the subspace." What you need to do is show that the set B, which is a subset of R^2, actually is or is not a subspace of R^2.

Clearly the vector (0, 0) is in B.
If you have vectors a = (x1, y1) and b = (x2, y2) that are in B, will a + b also be in B?
If you have a vector a = (x1, y1) that is in B, will any scalar multiple of it also be in B?
If the answer to each of these two questions is yes, no matter which vectors a and b and scalar c are chosen, then set B is a subspace of R^2.

If the answer to at least one question is no, then B is not a subspace of R^2.

If you have vectors a = (x1, y1) and b = (x2, y2) that are in B, will a + b also be in B?
a=x1^2+y1^2<=1
0^2+0^2<=1
b=x2^2+y2^2=1
0^2+0^2<=1
a+b<=1

If you have a vector a = (x1, y1) that is in B, will any scalar multiple of it also be in B?
a^2(x^2+y^2)<=1
if x and y are equal to 0 or a=0, then it would be true.

so B is in the subspace of R^2?

Renzokuken said:
a=x1^2+y1^2<=1
0^2+0^2<=1
b=x2^2+y2^2=1
0^2+0^2<=1
a+b<=1

a^2(x^2+y^2)<=1

You're still not getting it. The question is not whether B is in the subspace of R^2, but whether B ***is*** a subspace of R^2.

Suppose a and b are vectors in set B, where a = (x1, y1) and b = (x2, y2).
a in B ==> x1^2 + y1^2 <= 1, and
b in B ==> x2^2 + y2^2 <= 1.

Now, is a + b in B?
Also, is ca in B, where c is a scalar?

If the answers to both questions are "yes", then B is a subspace of R^2.

Think about what B looks like, and what a vector that belongs to B looks like.

Renzokuken said:
a=x1^2+y1^2<=1
0^2+0^2<=1
Why are you writing this? You cannot assume that x1 and y1 are 0.

b=x2^2+y2^2=1
0^2+0^2<=1
Same comment

a+b<=1
This makes no sense. a and b are vectors. You can't compare them to a number.

a^2(x^2+y^2)<=1
But x, y, and a are NOT necessarily 0!

You seem to be completely misunderstanding this problem.

Mark44 said:
You're still not getting it. The question is not whether B is in the subspace of R^2, but whether B ***is*** a subspace of R^2.

Suppose a and b are vectors in set B, where a = (x1, y1) and b = (x2, y2).
a in B ==> x1^2 + y1^2 <= 1, and
b in B ==> x2^2 + y2^2 <= 1.

Now, is a + b in B?
Also, is ca in B, where c is a scalar?

If the answers to both questions are "yes", then B is a subspace of R^2.

Think about what B looks like, and what a vector that belongs to B looks like.

I think i am starting to understand it more.
A(x1^2+x2^2)+B(y1^2+y2^2)<=1 where A and B are scalers
a+b is not in B

ca is not in B either since c can be a scaler that makes a not a subspace in B
so B is not a subspace of R^2

Renzokuken said:
I think i am starting to understand it more.
A(x1^2+x2^2)+B(y1^2+y2^2)<=1 where A and B are scalers
a+b is not in B
Assuming a= (x1,y1) and b= (x2,y2), this is Aa+ Bb. Now how do you conclude it is NOT in B? Do you mean there exist some a, b, A, B such that it is not in B or it is not in B for ALL a, b, A, B?

(If you are going to use "a" and "b" for vectors it is generally not a good idea to use "A" and "B" for scalars.)

ca is not in B either since c can be a scaler that makes a not a subspace in B
so B is not a subspace of R^2
You can't just say "ca is not in B", you have to show that. Can you give an example of a vector a in B and a number c such that ac is not in B?

Last edited by a moderator:
There exist some a ,b, A, B such that it is not in B.
a+b is (x1^2+x2^2+y1^2+y2^2)<=1, which is not always true.

ca is not in B because
a=(.5,.5) and c=10
100(.5^2+.5^2) is greater then 1 so ca is not in B.

Last edited:
Is this enough proof to show that B is not a subspace of R^2?

Renzokuken said:
There exist some a ,b, A, B such that it is not in B.
a+b is (x1^2+x2^2+y1^2+y2^2)<=1, which is not always true.

ca is not in B because
a=(.5,.5) and c=10
100(.5^2+.5^2) is greater then 1 so ca is not in B.

For the first part, you have to SHOW that if a is in B and b is in B, then a + b isn't in B. You're saying it is not always true. Show us a case where it isn't true.

Your argument in the second part is more convincing - I truly believe that a is in B, but ca is not in B.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the three properties of closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector.

2. How do you determine if a set is a subspace?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you need to check if it satisfies the three properties of a subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector. If it satisfies all three properties, then it is a subspace.

3. Can a set be a subspace if it does not contain the zero vector?

No, a set cannot be a subspace if it does not contain the zero vector. The zero vector is a necessary element for a set to be considered a subspace because it is needed for the property of closure under addition.

4. Can a subspace contain only one vector?

Yes, a subspace can contain only one vector. As long as the vector satisfies the three properties of a subspace, it can be considered a subspace.

5. How does determining if sets are in the subspace relate to linear independence?

If a set is in a subspace, it means that the set is linearly independent. This is because the three properties of a subspace are the same properties needed for a set to be considered linearly independent. Therefore, determining if sets are in the subspace is a way to check for linear independence.