Determining perpendicular tangent line

In summary, to find the coordinates of the points on the graph of f(x) = \sqrt {2x+1} where the tangent line is perpendicular to the line 3x+y+4 = 0, you must first find the derivative of f(x) and then equate it to the slope of the line. The product of the slopes will be -1, which will give a linear equation to solve for x and then substitute to find y. This will give multiple points, with (4, 3) being one of them. Equating the derivative to y is not the correct approach.
fghtffyrdmns

Homework Statement

Determine the coordinates of the points on the graph of [tex] f(x) = \sqrt {2x+1} [/tex] where the tangent line is perpendicular to the line 3x+y+4 = 0

Homework Equations

[tex] f(x) = \sqrt {2x+1} [/tex]
[tex] 3x+y+4 = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For this, I was going to find the derivative of f(x) then equate that to y. This would be the point where they cross. But what does it mean for it to be perpendicular? Do I do the negative reciprocal of the slope?

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to first find the derivative of f(x) but why would you equate to y??
if the tangent line of a graph f(x) is perpendicular to a line at a point then the product of the slopes is -1 (or more than a point). but in this case its just one point.
So, first find this point.

Last edited:
sara_87 said:
you have to first find the derivative of f(x) but why would you equate to y??
if the tangent line of a graph f(x) is perpendicular to a line at a point then the product of the slopes is -1 (or more than a point). but in this case its just one point.
So, first find this point.

I don't understand.

[tex] y= -3x -4 [/tex]
[tex] f'(x) = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2x+1}}[/tex]

you differentiated f(x) correctly. now differentiate y.
you are asked to find the coordinates of the point where the tangent of the curve is perpendicular to the line y=-3x-4
to do this, you must first understand that at this point, the product of the gradients is -1.
so say the gradient of the curve is m and that of the line is n, then:
m*n=-1
this will give you a linear equation where you would easily be able to find x and then you can substitute to find y.
you found m correctly.

So then I take dy/dx = -3?

Then I multiply [tex]
f'(x) = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2x+1}}
[/tex] by -3?

Yes! I got the question right :). At (4, 3) it will be perpendicular.

Though, couldn't I just not equate f'(x) to y and then solve for x? I know I will get a cubic, but there will only be one answer that fits the domain.

Or am I completely wrong and this is the only way to do it?

if you were to equate f'(x) to y then that would be the wrong approach, there's no point in equating a deivative of a curve to the line (no point).
(4,3) is correct :)
but!
the question does say: determine the coordinates of the points (so more than one).
note when you substitute x=4 into the equation of the curve, you get y=3. what would you get if you substituted x=4 into the equation of the line?? you see, more than one point.
:)

1. How do you determine a perpendicular tangent line?

The process of determining a perpendicular tangent line involves finding the slope of the given curve at a specific point, and then calculating the negative reciprocal of that slope. This negative reciprocal will be the slope of the perpendicular tangent line. Finally, use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the perpendicular tangent line.

2. What is the negative reciprocal of a slope?

The negative reciprocal of a slope is a mathematical concept where the original slope is multiplied by -1 and then flipped upside down. For example, if the slope is 2, the negative reciprocal would be -1/2. This concept is important in determining the slope of a perpendicular line.

3. Can a tangent line be perpendicular to a curve at more than one point?

Yes, it is possible for a tangent line to be perpendicular to a curve at multiple points. This occurs when the curve has multiple points with the same slope, or when the curve has a point of inflection where the slope changes sign.

4. How do you find the equation of a perpendicular tangent line to a curve?

To find the equation of a perpendicular tangent line, you need the coordinates of the point where the tangent line intersects with the curve. Then, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the line, using the slope of the perpendicular tangent line as calculated previously.

5. Can a line be both tangent and perpendicular to a curve at the same point?

No, a line cannot be both tangent and perpendicular to a curve at the same point. This is because the definition of a tangent line is a line that touches the curve at a single point without crossing it, while a perpendicular line intersects the curve at a 90 degree angle.