Determining radius of electron's orbit Need help .

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the radius of the orbit of a positively charged helium atom. The equation L = sqrt k*e2*m*ro is initially used, but it is then determined that this equation only applies to a neutral hydrogen atom, not a positively charged helium atom. The correct equation for a positively charged helium atom is derived using the forces of centripetal and electric force, and the charges of the two protons and one electron. The final equation is L^2 = k*q*q*r*m, where q is the charge of the electron and q is the charge of the two protons. After plugging in the correct numbers, the correct answer is obtained.
gookies

Homework Statement

A positively charged Helium atom has two protons in the nucleus and one electron in the shell, in a classic model of the atom, this electron is in a circular orbit around the nucleus with an angular momentum of 4.718x10^-34 Js. What is the radius of the orbit?

Homework Equations

L = sqrt k*e2*m*ro

The Attempt at a Solution

Using that equation, I've tried solving for the radius, but I'm not getting the correct answer. The professor told us it had to do with this equation, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've gotten 2.37*10^-10m as my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello gookies,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
gookies said:
L = sqrt k*e2*m*ro
Using the specified classic model, the above equation might apply to a neutral hydrogen atom, but not a positively charged helium atom.

Try to re-derive the equation for a positively charged helium atom. Note that,

[tex] F_e = k\frac{q_1 q_2}{r_0^2} [/tex]

[tex] F_{centrepital} = \frac{mv^2}{r_0} [/tex]

And if the velocity is perpendicular to the radius,

[tex] \vec L = \vec r_0 \times m \vec v \ \rightarrow \ L = r_0mv [/tex]

Then substitute in the charges accordingly (remember the helium atom has two protons, not one). :wink:

Ah. I'm still confused. So do you have to solve for the velocity first and substitute F for mv^2/r? So the end equation would be, mv^2/r = k q1q2/r^2? And with the charges, would q1 be the charge of the electron and q2 would be the charge of 2 protons?

gookies said:
Ah. I'm still confused. So do you have to solve for the velocity first and substitute F for mv^2/r? So the end equation would be, mv^2/r = k q1q2/r^2?
That's what I did anyway, yes. :approve:

After you solve for the velocity, modify it accordingly to make it into an expression for angular momentum.
And with the charges, would q1 be the charge of the electron and q2 would be the charge of 2 protons?
Yes, that's right. :approve: Or you could make q1 be the charge of the two protons (in the nucleus) and q2 be the charge of the single electron. Just pick one to be the nucleus and the other to be the electron. Which one is which doesn't matter.

Okay, I just looked at it and you don't have to solve for velocity. I changed L=r*m*v to solve for v and substituted v in the equation of F = mv^2/r. I set that equal to kqq/r^2 and then I eventually set everything equal to L first, then solved for r. my final equation was, L^2 = k*q*q*r*m. Would that be correct, Collin?

Edit: Realized it's exactly like the equation I gave. :( Not sure what to do.

Last edited:
gookies said:
Okay, I just looked at it and you don't have to solve for velocity. I changed L=r*m*v to solve for v and substituted v in the equation of F = mv^2/r. I set that equal to kqq/r^2 and then I eventually set everything equal to L first, then solved for r. my final equation was, L^2 = k*q*q*r*m. Would that be correct, Collin?
Yes, your way will work too. :approve:
Edit: Realized it's exactly like the equation I gave. :( Not sure what to do.
It's almost the same. In the equation you derived there is a q1q2 instead of your original equation that had an e2. The important point here is that in a positive helium ion, q1q2 (remember, the nucleus of the helium ion has two protons, not one).

Plug in the charges and see what you get. :wink:

Ah, it works now. I guess it was just plugging in my numbers that screwed me. Thanks Collin!

1. What is the significance of determining the radius of an electron's orbit?

Determining the radius of an electron's orbit is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of atoms. It also allows us to calculate the energy levels of electrons and predict the chemical and physical properties of elements.

2. How is the radius of an electron's orbit calculated?

The radius of an electron's orbit can be calculated using the Bohr model, which takes into account the energy levels and angular momentum of the electron. It can also be determined using more advanced mathematical models, such as the Schrödinger equation.

3. What factors affect the radius of an electron's orbit?

The radius of an electron's orbit is affected by the charge of the nucleus, the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, and the energy level of the electron. It is also influenced by the strength of the electromagnetic force and the mass of the electron.

4. Can the radius of an electron's orbit change?

Yes, the radius of an electron's orbit can change. It can be altered by changes in the energy level of the electron or by external factors, such as the presence of other atoms or molecules that can affect the electron's movement.

5. How does the radius of an electron's orbit relate to its energy level?

The radius of an electron's orbit is directly proportional to its energy level. As the energy level increases, the radius of the orbit also increases. This means that electrons with higher energy levels are found farther from the nucleus and have a larger orbit.