Determining signs (+/-/0) of derivatives from a polar graph

In summary, the conversation discusses using a polar graph to determine the signs of each derivative at a specific point labeled A. The attempt at a solution involves attempting to come up with an equation and using substitution to find the derivatives, but the professor provides a simpler method by visually analyzing the graph. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a better understanding of the problem and gratitude for the help provided.
d.tran103

Homework Statement

Use the polar graph to determine the signs (+,-,0) of each derivative at the point labeled A.

Homework Equations

dy/dx=
dy/dtheta=
dx/dtheta=
dr/dtheta=

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi people, I need help with this question. See the picture of the graph attached. I'm not sure if I'm over-complicating this question. I attempted to come up with the equation and got r=6cos2theta. I then substituted r=y/sintheta and r=x/costheta separately to eventually get my dy/dtheta and dx/dtheta, which eventually got dy/dx. I assumed that A came from theta=-2pi/3 and then I plugged that into get my answers. I ended up getting +, +, +, and -. However, my professor gave me the answers +,-,-, and -. Am I over-complicating the problem? Is there a way to just read the graph? Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
dy/dx is the easiest one. Just look at point A, then scoot forward a bit on the x-axis. We see that y grew a bit relative to y at point A. So dy/dx is positive. As for dy/dtheta, draw a radius line from the origin through point A. The angle this line makes with the x-axis is theta. So we scoot theta up a bit. We see that a new radius line going from the origin to a point very close to point A (such that theta increases) goes through a point with y less than y at A. So dy/dtheta is negative. Can you use this line of reasoning to figure out the remainder?

WOW! This makes sooooo much sense now. I understand it completely now. Thanks for taking your time to help me.

1. How do you determine the sign of the derivative from a polar graph?

The sign of the derivative from a polar graph can be determined by looking at the direction of the tangent line. If the tangent line is moving in a counterclockwise direction, the derivative is positive. If the tangent line is moving in a clockwise direction, the derivative is negative.

2. Can the sign of the derivative change on a polar graph?

Yes, the sign of the derivative can change on a polar graph. This occurs when the tangent line changes direction from clockwise to counterclockwise or vice versa. The point where this change occurs is called a critical point.

3. How do you find the critical points on a polar graph?

Critical points on a polar graph can be found by identifying the points where the tangent line is horizontal or vertical. These points represent the transition from positive to negative or vice versa, and therefore determine the critical points.

4. What does a critical point represent on a polar graph?

A critical point on a polar graph represents a change in the direction of the derivative. It can also represent a maximum or minimum point, where the derivative is equal to 0.

5. Can a polar graph have a derivative of 0?

Yes, a polar graph can have a derivative of 0 at a critical point. This means that the tangent line is horizontal at that point, indicating a change in direction of the derivative. It can also represent a maximum or minimum point on the graph.