1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining signs (+/-/0) of derivatives from a polar graph

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the polar graph to determine the signs (+,-,0) of each derivative at the point labeled A.

2. Relevant equations
    dy/dx=
    dy/dtheta=
    dx/dtheta=
    dr/dtheta=

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi people, I need help with this question. See the picture of the graph attached. I'm not sure if I'm over-complicating this question. I attempted to come up with the equation and got r=6cos2theta. I then substituted r=y/sintheta and r=x/costheta separately to eventually get my dy/dtheta and dx/dtheta, which eventually got dy/dx. I assumed that A came from theta=-2pi/3 and then I plugged that in to get my answers. I ended up getting +, +, +, and -. However, my professor gave me the answers +,-,-, and -. Am I over-complicating the problem? Is there a way to just read the graph? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2
    dy/dx is the easiest one. Just look at point A, then scoot forward a bit on the x-axis. We see that y grew a bit relative to y at point A. So dy/dx is positive. As for dy/dtheta, draw a radius line from the origin through point A. The angle this line makes with the x-axis is theta. So we scoot theta up a bit. We see that a new radius line going from the origin to a point very close to point A (such that theta increases) goes through a point with y less than y at A. So dy/dtheta is negative. Can you use this line of reasoning to figure out the remainder?

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    WOW! This makes sooooo much sense now. I understand it completely now. Thanks for taking your time to help me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook