Determining the general form of an orthogonal vector

In summary: Thanks again!In summary, to find a vector that is orthogonal to both (1,2,-1) and (3,1,0), one can use the dot product to set up two equations in three unknowns. This will leave a free variable in the answer, giving a general result of the form (a, -3a, -5a). Other methods, such as the cross product, can also be used to find an orthogonal vector.
MoreDrinks

Homework Statement

Determine a vector that is orthogonal to both (1,2,-1) and (3,1,0)

Homework Equations

As above.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution, from the back of the book, is "any vector of the form (a, -3a, -5a), but I'm not sure how they got there. I get the methodology for a matrix in two dimensions, like so:

Find a matrix orthogonal to (5,1)

(5a) + (-b) = 0
5a = b
The answer is (a, 5a) or any vector of the form a(1,3)

...but I don't understand how to go about this for the question originally stated.

Physics news on Phys.org
MoreDrinks said:

Homework Statement

Determine a vector that is orthogonal to both (1,2,-1) and (3,1,0)

Homework Equations

As above.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution, from the back of the book, is "any vector of the form (a, -3a, -5a), but I'm not sure how they got there. I get the methodology for a matrix in two dimensions, like so:

Find a matrix orthogonal to (5,1)

(5a) + (-b) = 0
5a = b
The answer is (a, 5a) or any vector of the form a(1,3)

...but I don't understand how to go about this for the question originally stated.

Are you familiar with inner products at all? They will be very helpful to you for this problem.

Two vectors, say u and v, are orthogonal when their inner product is zero. That is when <u,v> = 0.

Zondrina said:
Are you familiar with inner products at all? They will be very helpful to you for this problem.

Two vectors, say u and v, are orthogonal when their inner product is zero. That is when <u,v> = 0.

If that means the same thing as dot product, yes. And I know that two vectors are orthogonal only if that is zero. I also know that the cross product - not taught, just looked it up - will give a vector that is perpendicular/orthogonal to two vectors, but it's not giving me the general answer I'm looking for here...I don't think. If it does, I don't see it.

MoreDrinks said:
If that means the same thing as dot product, yes. And I know that two vectors are orthogonal only if that is zero. I also know that the cross product - not taught, just looked it up - will give a vector that is perpendicular/orthogonal to two vectors, but it's not giving me the general answer I'm looking for here...I don't think. If it does, I don't see it.

Yes the dot product is the same thing. So for the vector you're trying to find to be orthogonal to both of the vectors you've been given, its dot product must be zero with each of them.

Also, the cross product is useful here as well since you're working in ##ℝ^3##. If you take the cross product of the two vectors you've been given, you will retrieve a vector which is orthogonal to both of the vectors at the same time.

And remember, if you find any vector which works, a constant times it will work too.

Zondrina said:
Yes the dot product is the same thing. So for the vector you're trying to find to be orthogonal to both of the vectors you've been given, its dot product must be zero with each of them.

Also, the cross product is useful here as well since you're working in ##ℝ^3##. If you take the cross product of the two vectors you've been given, you will retrieve a vector which is orthogonal to both of the vectors at the same time.

Thanks for your help. Is there any standard way to find a vector with a dot product that equals zero with both, and/or gives a general result of the form I showed in the OP?

MoreDrinks said:
Thanks for your help. Is there any standard way to find a vector with a dot product that equals zero with both, and/or gives a general result of the form I showed in the OP?

Yes. If you dot (a,b,c) into your two vectors and set those equal to zero, you will get two equations in three unknowns. That will leave a free variable in your answer.

LCKurtz said:
Yes. If you dot (a,b,c) into your two vectors and set those equal to zero, you will get two equations in three unknowns. That will leave a free variable in your answer.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, it worked. Now I feel silly for even asking, but thanks! There will probably be more threads and questions as I go through some vector chapters here.

1. What is an orthogonal vector?

An orthogonal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to another vector. This means that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to zero.

2. How do you determine the general form of an orthogonal vector?

To determine the general form of an orthogonal vector, you can use the cross product of two given vectors. The resulting vector will be orthogonal to both of the original vectors.

3. Can the general form of an orthogonal vector be written in different ways?

Yes, the general form of an orthogonal vector can be written in different ways depending on the given vectors. It can be written as a linear combination of the given vectors or as a vector equation.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding the general form of an orthogonal vector?

Yes, the formula for finding the general form of an orthogonal vector is the cross product of the given vectors divided by the magnitude of the cross product. This will give you a unit vector that is orthogonal to the original vectors.

5. Why is the concept of orthogonal vectors important in mathematics and physics?

The concept of orthogonal vectors is important in mathematics and physics because it allows us to find relationships between vectors and understand the geometry of vector spaces. It is also used in various applications, such as in calculating forces and projections in physics, and in computer graphics and engineering.