Determining the Mass of a Selenium Ion in a Bainbridge Mass Spectrometer

In summary, the electric field between the plates of the velocity selector in a Bainbridge mass spectrometer is 20 V/m, and the magnetic field in both regions is 10 T (out and inside the spectrometer). A stream of singly charged selenium ions moves in a circular path with a radius of 1 m in the magnetic field (after they come out from the spectrometer). The mass of one selenium ion can be determined by using the equation v=E/B and knowing the charge on the ions, which is one electron removed from the selenium atom valence shell.
beanryu
The electric field between the plates of the velocity selector in a Bainbridege mass spectrometer is 20 V/m, and the magnectic field in both regions is 10 T(out and inside the spectrometer). A stream of singly charged selenium ions moves in a circular path with a radius of 1 m in the magnectic field(after they come out from the spectrometer). Determine the mass of one selenium ion.

How do I get the mass when I don't know the charge?
I know that v=E/B and Forces equal but I just can't find M without knowing the charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless it means something else, a "singly charged" ion means that an electron has been removed from the selenium atom valence shell. So yes, you do know the amount of charge on the ions.

Zz.

THANX!
I think I need to polish my english reading ability!

Related to Determining the Mass of a Selenium Ion in a Bainbridge Mass Spectrometer

1. What is a Bainbridge mass spectrometer?

The Bainbridge mass spectrometer is an instrument used to measure the mass-to-charge ratio of ions. It is commonly used in scientific research and analysis to identify and quantify the components of a sample.

2. How does a Bainbridge mass spectrometer work?

A Bainbridge mass spectrometer works by ionizing a sample, separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio, and then detecting and measuring the individual ions. This is achieved through a series of steps including ionization, acceleration, deflection, and detection.

3. What are the applications of a Bainbridge mass spectrometer?

A Bainbridge mass spectrometer has a wide range of applications in various fields such as chemistry, biology, physics, and environmental science. It is used for analyzing the composition of substances, identifying unknown compounds, studying molecular structures, and detecting trace elements.

4. What are the advantages of using a Bainbridge mass spectrometer?

The advantages of using a Bainbridge mass spectrometer include high sensitivity, accuracy, and precision in analyzing complex mixtures. It also has a wide dynamic range, allowing for the detection of both large and small molecules. Additionally, the data obtained from a mass spectrometer is highly reproducible and can be stored for further analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Bainbridge mass spectrometer?

While a Bainbridge mass spectrometer has many benefits, it also has some limitations. One of the main limitations is the high cost of the instrument and its maintenance. It also requires a skilled operator and may not be suitable for analyzing large and complex molecules. Additionally, the sample preparation process can be time-consuming and may affect the accuracy of the results.