Determining the transition frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the type of MASER observed in methanol, with a frequency of 6.7 GHz and a period of days. The question is how researchers know that this specific molecule and transition are responsible for the observed MASER. The paper provided offers insight on the subject and additional visual aids can be found through a Google search.
TheCanadian
I was reading through a paper on MASERs, and perhaps it is obvious, but I am missing how authors determined what type of MASER it is. For example, the observed signal itself has a period of days and the bandwidth is on the order of ##10^{-5}## Hz yet the frequency of the transition responsible for the MASER is 6.7 GHz in methanol. My questions are: how do we know this is the molecule and transition causing this MASER to be seen? Is the bandwidth one computes based on the power spectrum (i.e. FFT of the autocorrelation of the flux density) centred on 6.7 GHz when the researchers are conducting the observations?

My apologies if this is a trivial question, I just seem to be missing something...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Likes TheCanadian

1. What is a transition frequency?

A transition frequency is the frequency at which an atom or molecule transitions from one energy level to another. It is often used in spectroscopy to study the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules.

2. How is the transition frequency determined?

The transition frequency is determined through experimental techniques such as spectroscopy. This involves passing light through a sample of the atom or molecule and measuring the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted, which correspond to the transition frequencies.

3. What factors can affect the transition frequency?

The transition frequency can be affected by various factors such as the atomic or molecular structure, temperature, and external electric or magnetic fields. These factors can cause shifts or broadening of the transition frequency, which can provide valuable information about the sample being studied.

4. Why is determining the transition frequency important?

Determining the transition frequency is important for understanding the fundamental properties of atoms and molecules, as well as their behavior in different environments. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, materials science, and environmental monitoring.

5. Can the transition frequency be calculated theoretically?

Yes, the transition frequency can be calculated theoretically using quantum mechanics. However, experimental measurements are often necessary to confirm the accuracy of these calculations and to account for any external factors that may affect the transition frequency.