Determining valve type from drawings

• Thread starter Steve_112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type Valve
In summary: Regarding the flow control valve, I'm not sure what's happening in section B. It could be that the valve in section B-B is controlling the flow from the topmost hole, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your question.
Steve_112
I'm having some difficulty determining which type of valves the following are.
I believe the first 1 is a pressure relief valve. However i don't understand the sectioning philosophy, some things just aren't sectioned that i'd expect to be, therefore I'm finding it hard to gauge which surfaces contribute to the opening force.

As for the second one it seems its a flow control valve, but i don't know what is happening in section B.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Steve

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 16.53.07.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 16.53.07.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Steve. The first one is a pressure relief valve as you say. It's a cartridge type that screws into a manifold block similar to the manifolded set of valves in the block below it. Port P is your inlet, high pressure port and port T is your discharge, lower pressure port. The poppet is shown directly below the letter T and discharge pressure is acting on the back of the poppet, tending to close the valve along with the spring. Inlet pressure from port P is acting on the underside (left side) of the poppet tending to open the valve. I would assume these are all hydraulic cartridge valves.

The second one is some sort of flow control valve as you know. The top most hole is shown in the left hand view with what appears to be an orifice screwed into it. The section is looking just past that so they don't show the orifice. There's a vertically drilled hole that you can't see in the left hand view because it's just below the plane that the view is sectioned from. That verticle port is shown in section B-B and connects the top most hole to the hole leading to the valve shown in section B-B. Note that the valve shown in section B-B is above the plane that the left hand view has been sectioned in so you won't see that valve in the left hand view. But you do see the port labled A in section B-B - that's the circular hole that the section line is running through just below that orifice. In section B-B, you have letter T showing the port T in the left hand view. And the lower most hole in section B-B is the lower most port running horizontally in the left view that has a valve on the left and port P on the right. Note that there are no hidden lines being shown in either of the views because those hidden lines would only make it more difficult to decipher the drawing.

Thanks very much for the quick response, i just have a couple of questions.
Is the 2nd valve pressure compensated, i can see that if the pressure on port P was to rise we could move the spool and waste flow to the reservoir, but what about A. Would we move through the valve in section B to relieve flow to the tank and thus maintain a constant pressure.

As for the 1st valve, is the active surface the black arrow, if so what are the roles of the red and yellow surfaces.

Sorry for a lot of questions drawing interpretation has never been my strongest point.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 18.05.01.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 18.05.01.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 438
Hi Steve. I don't know what all the valves do as a set. I'm not that familiar with this particular valve either. Regarding the small bit on the end of the relief valve, I'd assume that's just for guidance of the poppet. It's probably just a bushing to keep the poppet centered and only allows movement in the axial direction.

Related to Determining valve type from drawings

What is the purpose of determining valve type from drawings?

Determining valve type from drawings is important because it helps identify the specific type of valve needed for a particular application. This ensures that the valve will function properly and meet the required specifications.

What information can be found on valve drawings?

Valve drawings typically include important information such as the valve type, size, material, pressure rating, and flow direction. They may also include details about the valve's components and how they are assembled.

How can I identify the valve type from a drawing?

To identify the valve type from a drawing, you can look for specific features and characteristics. These may include the number of ports, the shape of the valve body, and the type of actuation (manual, electric, pneumatic, etc.). You can also refer to a valve identification chart to help determine the type.

Are there different types of valves for different applications?

Yes, there are various types of valves designed for specific applications. Some common types include gate valves, ball valves, butterfly valves, and globe valves. The type of valve needed will depend on the function and requirements of the system it will be used in.

How can I ensure that I have identified the correct valve type from a drawing?

To ensure that you have identified the correct valve type, it is important to thoroughly review the drawing and compare it to other sources of information such as specifications and catalogs. You can also consult with a valve expert for confirmation. Additionally, double-checking the dimensions and features of the drawing can help verify the valve type.