Determining what value y will approach eventually

In summary: Then, at y= 3, y'= (2(3)+ 8)(3- 3)(3- 8)^3= 0 and stays negative. y decreases until y= -4 where y'= (2(-4)+ 8)(-4- 3)(-4- 8)^3= 0, y'=0, and the process starts over. So y oscillates between y= 3 and y= -4. Since y<3, y is decreasing and since y>-4, y is increasing. Now, if you start with a value greater than 3, say 8, two of those factors are positive and the other three are negative.
Tricky557
Determining what value "y" will approach eventually

I'm having a bit of trouble with an equilibrium problem. The autonomous equation given is:

y' = (2y+8)(y-3)(y-8)^3

The first task is to find and classify the stability of each equation, which I've done.

The bit that I am unsure of how to do comes next.

a.) If y(8) =-10, to what value will y approach eventually?

b.) If y(-4) = 8, to what value will y approach eventually?

I've seen it done with direction fields, but I've never really understood those.. I've also heard that there is a way to determine what value y will approach without actually solving the differential equation.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org

The crucial point is where y'=0, where it is positive, and where it is negative.
Remember, from very basic calculus, that y' tells how y changes. In particular, if y' is negative, y is decreasing and if y' is positive, y is increasing.

Obviously, [itex]y'= (2y+8)(y- 3)(y- 8)^3[/itex] will be 0 where 2y+ 8= 0, y- 3= 0, or y- 8= 0. It should be easy to see where y' is positive or negative. For example, if y< -4, each of 2y+ 8, y- 3, and y- 8 are negative. The product of 5 negative numbers is negative so y' is negative and y decreases. Since y' will still be negative, there is nothing to stop y form going to negative infinity. If -4< x< 3, 2y+ 8 is positive while y- 3 and y- 8 are still negative. The product of four negative numbers and one positive is positive so y is increasing. But it can't just keep increasing- beyond y= 3, that changes. So if y starts with a value between -4 and 3, it increase toward y= 3 but stops their (because y'(3)= 0).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of "determining what value y will approach eventually"?

"Determining what value y will approach eventually" is a scientific process of predicting the long-term behavior of a variable or system. It involves analyzing past data and understanding the underlying patterns and trends to make an informed estimation of the eventual value that a variable will reach.

2. Why is it important to determine the eventual value of y?

Knowing the eventual value of y can help in making efficient and accurate predictions about the future behavior of a system or variable. It also allows us to make informed decisions and plan for potential outcomes.

3. What factors are involved in determining the eventual value of y?

The eventual value of y is determined by various factors such as initial conditions, external forces, and the inherent characteristics of the system or variable. It can also be influenced by random events or unpredictable changes in the environment.

4. How is the eventual value of y calculated?

The calculation of the eventual value of y involves analyzing the data and identifying any underlying patterns or trends. It also requires an understanding of the factors that can affect the variable or system. Based on this information, mathematical models or algorithms can be used to make a prediction of the eventual value of y.

5. Can the eventual value of y change over time?

Yes, the eventual value of y can change over time as new data is collected and new factors come into play. It is important to continuously monitor and update the prediction to ensure its accuracy and relevance to the current situation.