1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining what value y will approach eventually

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    Determining what value "y" will approach eventually

I'm having a bit of trouble with an equilibrium problem. The autonomous equation given is:

y' = (2y+8)(y-3)(y-8)^3

The first task is to find and classify the stability of each equation, which I've done.

The bit that I am unsure of how to do comes next.

a.) If y(8) =-10, to what value will y approach eventually?

b.) If y(-4) = 8, to what value will y approach eventually?

I've seen it done with direction fields, but I've never really understood those.. I've also heard that there is a way to determine what value y will approach without actually solving the differential equation.

Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Determining what value "y" will approach eventually

The crucial point is where y'=0, where it is positive, and where it is negative.
    Remember, from very basic calculus, that y' tells how y changes. In particular, if y' is negative, y is decreasing and if y' is positive, y is increasing.

Obviously, [itex]y'= (2y+8)(y- 3)(y- 8)^3[/itex] will be 0 where 2y+ 8= 0, y- 3= 0, or y- 8= 0. It should be easy to see where y' is positive or negative. For example, if y< -4, each of 2y+ 8, y- 3, and y- 8 are negative. The product of 5 negative numbers is negative so y' is negative and y decreases. Since y' will still be negative, there is nothing to stop y form going to negative infinity. If -4< x< 3, 2y+ 8 is positive while y- 3 and y- 8 are still negative. The product of four negative numbers and one positive is positive so y is increasing. But it can't just keep increasing- beyond y= 3, that changes. So if y starts with a value between -4 and 3, it increase toward y= 3 but stops their (because y'(3)= 0).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook