Develop an expression for Temp as a function of time

In summary: I'm just trying to get a handle on this conceptually. I'm not really sure what specifically to ask.-K\bullet(Tw-T)=m*dU/dtm*Cv*\frac{dT}{dt}=m'*Cv'*\frac{dTw}{dt}\frac{dT}{dt}=-\frac{m*Cv}{K(Tw-T)}\frac{dTw}{dt}=-\frac{m'*Cv'}{K(Tw-T)}I don't really know what else to try. I think you're on the right track now. The next step would be to solve this system of differential equations. Have you
swmmr1928

Homework Statement

A solid body at initial temperature T0 is immersed in a bath of water at initial temperature Tw0. Heat is transferred from the solid to water at a rate [itex]\dot{Q}[/itex]=K[itex]\bullet[/itex](Tw-T), where K is a constant and Tw and T are instantaneous values of the temperatures of the water and solid. Develop an expression for T as a function of time t. Check your result for the limiting cases, t=0 and t=∞. Ignore effects of expansion or contraction, and assume constant specific heats for both water and solid.

2. Homework Equations [/b[STRIKE]][/STRIKE]

[itex]\dot{Q}[/itex]=K[itex]\bullet[/itex](Tw-T)

d(mU)cv/dt=-[itex]\dot{Q}[/itex]

Cv=dU/dT

The Attempt at a Solution

-K[itex]\bullet[/itex](Tw-T)=m*dU/dt

K[itex]\bullet[/itex](T-Tw)=m*Cv*dT/dt

dT/dt=K/(m*Cv)(T-Tw)

Now I will attempt integrating factor

dT/dt=c1(T-Tw)

[itex]\mu[/itex](t)*dT/dt=[itex]\mu[/itex](t)*c1(T-Tw)

[itex]\mu[/itex](t)=exp(∫-c1*dt)=exp(-c1*t)

d[T*exp(-c1*t)]/dt=exp(-c1*t)*c1(T-Tw)

T*exp(-c1*t)=∫exp(-c1*t)*c1(T-Tw)dt

T*exp(-c1*t)=-exp(-c1*t)(T-Tw)

T=-(T-Tw)

I would expect a the Temperature of the solid to decrease, as stated in the problem, but eventually level off at an asymptote as it approaches equilibrium.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this should have been posted in math or introductory physics. can staff move it?

As written, the equation is not separable. I attempted to use an integrating factor, but I am not sure if it is in the correct form. I obtained an equation that did not contain temperature at all, which is not what the question asks for.

swmmr1928 said:

Homework Statement

A solid body at initial temperature T0 is immersed in a bath of water at initial temperature Tw0. Heat is transferred from the solid to water at a rate [itex]\dot{Q}[/itex]=K[itex]\bullet[/itex](Tw-T), where K is a constant and Tw and T are instantaneous values of the temperatures of the water and solid. Develop an expression for T as a function of time t. Check your result for the limiting cases, t=0 and t=∞. Ignore effects of expansion or contraction, and assume constant specific heats for both water and solid.

Homework Equations

[itex]\dot{Q}[/itex]=K[itex]\bullet[/itex](Tw-T)

d(mU)cv/dt=-[itex]\dot{Q}[/itex]

Cv=dU/dT
Let's assume K>0. If heat moves from the solid to the water, you must have T>Tw, so ##\dot{Q} = K(T_w-T) < 0##.

The Attempt at a Solution

-K[itex]\bullet[/itex](Tw-T)=m*dU/dt

K[itex]\bullet[/itex](T-Tw)=m*Cv*dT/dt
As the solid cools off, you want dU/dt < 0, so it looks like you have an extra negative sign. Your differential equation should be
\begin{align*}
m\frac{dU}{dt} &= K(T_w-T) \\
mc_v \frac{dT}{dt} &= K(T_w-T)
\end{align*}You're not ready to try solve this yet though because you don't know how Tw varies with time. You need to come up with another differential equation describing its behavior over time.

vela said:
\end{align*}You're not ready to try solve this yet though because you don't know how Tw varies with time. You need to come up with another differential equation describing its behavior over time.

[itex]\frac{dTw}{dt}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]

m*Cv*[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]=m'*Cv'*[itex]\frac{dTw}{dt}[/itex]

swmmr1928 said:
[itex]\frac{dTw}{dt}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]
No, that's not correct. Try again.

vela said:
No, that's not correct. Try again.

Check my last post.

swmmr1928 said:
Check my last post.

m*Cv*[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]=m'*Cv'*[itex]\frac{dTw}{dt}[/itex]

Oops, missed that. Looks okay except you're missing a minus sign.

[itex]\frac{dTw}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{m'Cv'}{K(Tw-T)}[/itex]

Yo, I'm not so good at this. What do I need to work on? Linear system of differential equations?

swmmr1928 said:
[itex]\frac{dTw}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{m'Cv'}{K(Tw-T)}[/itex]
This is obviously wrong.

First, find an equation analogous to ##mc_v \frac{dT}{dt} = K(T_w-T)## for Tw. Once you have that, then you need to solve a system of linear differential equations.

Alternately, you could fix this equation
$$ mC_v\frac{dT}{dt} = m'C'_v\frac{dTw}{dt}, $$ integrate it, and use the result to eliminate Tw from your first differential equation.

In any case, it would help if you could explain what you're thinking. Right now, from your posts, it seems like you're just guessing. When you do that, people here aren't inclined to help as much.

Last edited:

Related to Develop an expression for Temp as a function of time

1. What is the formula for calculating temperature as a function of time?

The formula for calculating temperature as a function of time is T(t) = T0 + at, where T0 is the initial temperature and a is the rate of change of temperature over time. This is known as a linear function, where the temperature changes at a constant rate over time.

2. How is the expression for temperature as a function of time derived?

The expression for temperature as a function of time is derived using the basic principles of thermodynamics and calculus. It takes into account factors such as initial temperature, rate of heat transfer, and time. By manipulating these factors and using mathematical equations, we can develop an expression that accurately represents the change in temperature over time.

3. Can the expression for temperature as a function of time be used for all types of substances?

Yes, the expression for temperature as a function of time can be used for all types of substances as long as the rate of change of temperature remains constant. However, for substances that undergo phase changes (i.e. from solid to liquid to gas), the expression may need to be modified to account for the change in heat transfer rate.

4. How is the expression for temperature as a function of time useful in scientific research?

The expression for temperature as a function of time is useful in scientific research as it allows us to predict and understand how temperature will change over time. This is important in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and environmental science. By using this expression, we can also analyze and compare data to identify patterns and trends.

5. What are some limitations of using the expression for temperature as a function of time?

One limitation of using the expression for temperature as a function of time is that it assumes a constant rate of change of temperature. In reality, temperature can be affected by various external factors such as heat transfer from the surroundings, chemical reactions, and phase changes. Additionally, the expression may not accurately represent temperature changes in complex systems or in situations with sudden changes in external conditions.