Did Fleming Explain about His rules completely?

In summary, the magnetic field and current are always perpendicular to each other due to Maxwell's Equations, which are a result of the universe's local U(1) gauge symmetry. However, the reason for this symmetry is still unknown.
kocthu
Pls point out me every body. I wish to know why does the magnetic field and current are perpendicular to each other? Or is it natural phenomena?

Physics news on Phys.org
kocthu said:
why does the magnetic field and current are perpendicular to each other?

A. Because of Maxwell's Equations for electromagnetism.

Q. Why are Maxwell's Equations the way they are?

A. Because the universe apparently has a local U(1) gauge symmetry.

Q. Why does the universe have a local U(1) gauge symmetry?

A. I don't know. That's as "deep" as we've gotten, as far as I know.

That's a pretty good reply there, though I have no idea what gauge symmetry means.

1. What are Fleming's rules?

Fleming's rules are a set of guidelines for predicting the stability of coordination complexes. They were proposed by Scottish chemist John Alexander Fleming in 1952.

2. How many rules are there in Fleming's rules?

There are 5 rules in Fleming's rules, which are referred to as the 18-Electron rule, the 16-Electron rule, the 14-Electron rule, the 12-Electron rule, and the 8-Electron rule.

3. What is the significance of Fleming's rules in chemistry?

Fleming's rules are significant because they provide a simple and practical approach for predicting the stability of coordination complexes. They are widely used in the field of inorganic chemistry to understand the electronic structure and stability of transition metal complexes.

4. How did Fleming come up with his rules?

Fleming's rules were developed based on experimental observations of coordination compounds. He noticed that there were certain patterns in the number of electrons in the outermost shell of transition metal complexes that correlated with their stability.

5. Are Fleming's rules applicable to all coordination complexes?

No, Fleming's rules are not applicable to all coordination complexes. They are most commonly used for transition metal complexes, but may not accurately predict the stability of other types of coordination compounds such as lanthanide or actinide complexes.