Did I do this question correctly?

• Thread starter andgabbana
  • Start date
In summary, the frictionless roller coaster shown has a mass of 12,000 kg and starts at rest from Point A. The total energy of the system is 1.1x10^7 J. At point B, the speed of the car is 24 m/s. To bring the car to a stop at point E, a force of 1.6x10^6 N must be applied and the work done is 1.1x10^7 J.
andgabbana
Consider the frictionless roller coaster shown:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/lanvin12/physics-2.jpg [Broken]

If a 12 000-kg car starts at rest from Point A, calculate

a) the total energy of the system

b) the speed of the car at point B

c) the force that must be applied to bring it to a stop at point E

d) the work done to bring it to a stop at point EHere's what I did...

a)
E(T) = E(K) + E(P)
= 1/2(mv^2) + mgh
=1/2(12000 x 0) + (12000 x 9.8 x 95)
=1.1x10^7 J

b)
E(T1) = E(T2)
1/2(V1^2) + gh(1) = 1/2(v2^2) + gh(2)
9.8 x 95 = 1/2(v2^2) + (9.8 x 65)
931 = 1/2(v2^2) + 637
V(2) = 24m/s

c)
1/2(V1^2) + gh(1) = 1/2(v2^2) + gh(2)
9.8 x 95 = 1/2(v2^2) + (9.8 x 25)
V(2) = 37.04m/s

F = mass ([Vf^2 - Vi^2] / [2 x delta d])
= 12000 ([0^2 - 37.04^2] / [2 x 7])
=-3.2x10^4 J

d)
W=E(K)
=1.1x10^7 J

Do you see any mistakes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Mostly good.

c) however must have a stopping force that absorbs all the potential energy, as in d) which you figured correctly.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

Mostly good.

c) however must have a stopping force that absorbs all the potential energy, as in d) which you figured correctly.

Thanks.

I don't think I understand...? I just used the formula F = ma for c). Do I change my answer to a positive? And I'm not sure how to fix d)...

andgabbana said:
Thanks.

I don't think I understand...? I just used the formula F = ma for c). Do I change my answer to a positive? And I'm not sure how to fix d)...

Not quite.

9.8 x 95 = 1/2(v2^2) + (9.8 x 25)

That's incorrect. That gives the KE at the top of the last hill. It's the whole 95 m of PE that needs stopping

LowlyPion said:
Not quite.

That's incorrect. That gives the KE at the top of the last hill. It's the whole 95 m of PE that needs stopping

c)
I think I need to change my approach?
F = W/d
=(1.1x10^7 J) / 7m
=1.6x10^6 J

d)
W=E(P)
=1.1x10^7 J
...I thought the work required to stop the roller coaster is equal to the total energy of the system?

andgabbana said:
c)
I think I need to change my approach?
F = W/d
=(1.1x10^7 J) / 7m
=1.6x10^6 J

d)
W=E(P)
=1.1x10^7 J
...I thought the work required to stop the roller coaster is equal to the total energy of the system?

It is.

But you could have done it the first way too by taking all the potential as kinetic energy and figuring deceleration.

But not J for force.

LowlyPion said:
It is.

But you could have done it the first way too by taking all the potential as kinetic energy and figuring deceleration.

But not J for force.

oops... my mistake!
c)
F = W/d
=(1.1x10^7 J) / 7m
=1.6x10^6 N

LowlyPion said:
It is.

But not J for force.

Just to confirm, did I finally do c) and d) correctly?

andgabbana said:
Just to confirm, did I finally do c) and d) correctly?

Looks OK. Total energy from potential needs to be accounted for after all.

LowlyPion said:
Looks OK. Total energy from potential needs to be accounted for after all.

Thank you!

1. Did I use the correct formula?

This is a common question when dealing with mathematical or scientific problems. The best way to ensure that you have used the correct formula is to double check your work and make sure that all variables and units are correctly included in the formula. You can also refer to your notes or consult with a peer or teacher for confirmation.

2. Are my calculations accurate?

Accuracy is an important aspect of any scientific work. To ensure that your calculations are accurate, make sure to use the correct units and follow the correct order of operations. If possible, try to use multiple methods to double check your calculations or ask a peer to review your work.

3. Did I consider all necessary factors?

When solving scientific problems, it is important to take into consideration all relevant factors. This may include variables, constants, and any other factors that may impact the outcome of your experiment or calculation. Make sure to carefully read the question and think critically about any potential factors that may need to be included in your work.

4. Did I show all my work?

Showing your work is important in scientific work as it allows others to understand your thought process and check for any errors or mistakes. Make sure to clearly label and show all steps of your work, including any conversions or substitutions made. This will also help you identify any mistakes you may have made and correct them.

5. Did I answer the question correctly?

This is the ultimate question when it comes to any problem or experiment. To ensure that you have answered the question correctly, go back and re-read the question to make sure you have addressed all parts of it. If you are unsure, ask a peer or teacher for feedback or review your work to check for any errors. Remember to always explain your reasoning and thought process in your answer.