Solving Differential Equations: Did I Do It Right?

• Thread starter AKG
  • Start date
In summary, the first question asked to calculate the derivative of a function f(x, y) where h(x) is a continuous function, and the second question asked to prove that the function f(x, y) is differentiable at (0, 0) with a derivative of 0. The solution involved using limit properties and the definition of differentiability to prove the proposition.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I posted these a while back, I just wanted to be certain I did it right before I hand it in:

---------------------------------

Question 1

Suppose that h : [itex]\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous. Calculate f', if f : [itex]\mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is the function:

[tex]f(x, y) = \int _{\sin (xy)} ^{\cos (xy)} h(t)dt[/tex]

Question 2

Let

[tex]f(x,y)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}\frac{x^4 + y^4}{x^2 + y^2},&\mbox{ if }
(x,y)\neq (0,0)\\0, & \mbox{ if } (x,y) = (0,0)\end{array}\right[/tex]

Show that f is differentiable at (0,0)

---------------------------------

Question 1

[tex]f' = \left [D_1f(x, y) \ \ \ \ D_2f(x, y)\right ][/tex]

[tex]f' = \left [\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int_{\sin (xy)} ^{\cos (xy)} h(t)dt \ \ \ \ \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\int_{\sin (xy)} ^{\cos (xy)} h(t)dt\right ][/tex]

Let H be the antiderivative of h (which exists because h is continuous), then:

[tex]f' = \left [\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left ( H(\cos xy) - H(\sin xy) \right ) \ \ \ \ \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left ( H(\cos xy) - H(\sin xy)\right ) \right ][/tex]

[tex]f' = -\left [y(\sin (xy)h(\cos (xy)) + \cos (xy)h(\sin (xy))) \ \ \ \ x(\sin (xy)h(\cos (xy)) + \cos (xy)h(\sin (xy)))\right ][/tex]

Question 2

Proposition: f is differentiable at (0, 0), and the derivative at that point is the zero transformation.

Proof:

It suffices to show that:

[tex]L = 0[/tex]

Where [itex]h = (h_1, h_2) \in \mathbb{R}^2[/itex], and:

[tex]L = \lim _{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{|f(h)|}{|h|}[/tex]

If [itex]h_1 = 0[/itex] and [itex]h_2 \neq 0[/itex], then:

[tex]L = \lim _{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{h_2^4}{|h_2^3|} = \lim _{h \rightarrow 0} |h_2| = 0[/tex]

Clearly, if [itex]h_1 \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]h_2 = 0[/itex], then we also have that L = 0. Now, if neither component of h is zero, then:

[tex]L = \lim _{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{|h_1^4 + h_2^4|}{(h_1^2 + h_2^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

[tex]L = \lim _{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{|(h_1^2 + h_2^2)^2 - 2h_1^2h_2^2|}{(h_1^2 + h_2^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

[tex]L = \lim _{h \rightarrow 0} \left ||h| - \frac{2h_1^2h_2^2}{(h_1^2 + h_2^2)^{3/2}} \right |[/tex]

[tex]L = 2\lim _{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{h_1^2h_2^2}{(h_1^2 + h_2^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

[tex]L = 2\lim _{h \rightarrow 0} |h| \left (\frac{h_1h_2}{h_1^2 + h_2^2} \right )^2[/tex]

Now, consider the function [itex]g(z) = z + z^{-1}[/itex] for positive [itex]z \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Simple analysis shows that g reaches a minimum at 2, so:

[tex]z + \frac{1}{z} \geq 2[/tex]

Now, let [itex]|h_1||h_2|^{-1} = z[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{|h_1|}{|h_2|} + \frac{|h_2|}{|h_1|} \geq 2[/tex]

[tex]h_1^2 + h_2^2 \geq 2|h_1||h_2|[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \geq \frac{|h_1||h_2|}{h_1^2 + h_2^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4} \geq \left ( \frac{h_1h_2}{h_1^2 + h_2^2} \right )^2[/tex]

[tex]2|h|\frac{1}{4} \geq 2|h|\left ( \frac{h_1h_2}{h_1^2 + h_2^2} \right )^2[/tex]

So:

[tex]L \leq \frac{1}{2}\lim _{h \rightarrow 0} |h| = 0[/tex]

Clearly, |f(h)| and |h| are non-negative, so:

[tex]0 \leq \lim _{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{|f(h)|}{|h|} = L \leq 0[/itex]

This proves that f is indeed differentiable at (0, 0), and 0 (the zero transformation) is its derivative there. Q.E.D.

FAQ: Solving Differential Equations: Did I Do It Right?

1. How do I know if I have solved a differential equation correctly?

One way to check if you have solved a differential equation correctly is to substitute your solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to use a computer program or calculator to solve the equation and compare your solution to the computer-generated solution.

2. What are some common mistakes when solving differential equations?

Some common mistakes when solving differential equations include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making arithmetic errors, and not simplifying the solution enough.

3. Can I use different methods to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and power series. The method you choose may depend on the type and complexity of the equation.

4. Do I need to solve for the constant of integration every time?

Yes, the constant of integration should be included in the solution to a differential equation. This constant accounts for any possible solutions that may have been missed during the integration process.

5. How can I check my work if I am using a computer program to solve differential equations?

If you are using a computer program to solve differential equations, you can check your work by manually solving the equation or by comparing your answer to the solutions provided in the program. You can also check for any errors in your input or settings in the program.

Back