What Is the Resultant Speed After Two Birds Collide?

• Thread starter drewdiddy
  • Start date
In summary, the two birds of the same mass collided and stuck together while swooping down on a mouse at an angle of 60 degrees with a speed of 30 m/s. The resulting speed was found using the conservation of momentum and was determined to be 26 m/s. Although some velocity may have been lost during the collision, momentum was still conserved.
drewdiddy

Homework Statement

2 birds of same mass swoop down on a mouse at an angle of 60 deg from horizontal with speed 30 m/s. They collide and stick together, what is their resultant speed?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

This was just on a test I took and I got 26 m/s but I'm thinking it should be just 30 m/s down? Or is some velocity lost during the collision?

Physics news on Phys.org
drewdiddy said:
Or is some velocity lost during the collision?

Hi drewdiddy! :smile:

Momentum is always conserved in collisions (energy isn't).

So your answer was right. :smile:

So it should have been 30 m/s instead of the 26 that I wrote? :(

drewdiddy said:
So it should have been 30 m/s instead of the 26 that I wrote? :(

No, your answer was right

momentum is a vector, so you added the two momentums by vector addition, and you got 26 (times 2m). :smile:

1. What is a collision in 2-d?

A collision in 2-d refers to the moment when two objects in a two-dimensional space come into contact with each other.

2. How do you calculate if a collision occurred in 2-d?

To calculate if a collision occurred in 2-d, you can use the equations of motion to determine the positions, velocities, and accelerations of the objects. If their positions overlap at any point in time, a collision has occurred.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision in 2-d?

The outcome of a collision in 2-d can be affected by several factors, including the masses, velocities, and angles of the objects involved, as well as the presence of any external forces or friction.

4. Is conservation of energy applicable in 2-d collisions?

Yes, conservation of energy is applicable in 2-d collisions. In a perfectly elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system will remain the same before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy may be converted into other forms of energy, but the total energy will still be conserved.

5. How can 2-d collisions be simulated in a laboratory setting?

2-d collisions can be simulated in a laboratory setting using tools such as air tracks, which allow for low-friction motion of objects in a two-dimensional space. Other methods include using computer simulations or physical models with accurate measurements of the objects' positions and velocities.