Dielectric Cylinder Polarization (Electrostatics)

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary,An infinitely long dielectric cylinder with radius R and relative permittivity ##\epsilon_r## contains a free charge density given by:##\rho(s)= ks## for s<R and 0 for s>R, where k is a constant.Find the polarization P and any volume or surface polarization charge densities.Gauss's law for E fields##\epsilon_r = \epsilon/\epsilon_0##Gauss's law for E fields##\epsilon_r = \epsilon/\epsil
roam

Homework Statement

An infinitely long dielectric cylinder with radius R and relative permittivity ##\epsilon_r## contains a free charge density given by:

##\rho(s)= ks## for s<R and 0 for s>R, where k is a constant.

Find the polarization P and any volume or surface polarization charge densities.

Homework Equations

##D=\epsilon_0 E+P##

##P=\epsilon_0(\epsilon_r -1)E##

##\oint D.da = Q_{fenc}##

##D=\epsilon E##

Gauss's law for E fields

##\epsilon_r = \epsilon/\epsilon_0##

##\rho = \rho_{bound} + \rho_{free}## with ##\rho_{bound}=- \nabla. P## and ##\nabla. D = \rho_{free}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Gauss's law we find:

##E_{in} = \frac{ks^2}{3 \epsilon_0} \hat{s}##
Then we find the electric displacement D:

##\oint D.da = D 2 \pi s L = (ks) \pi s^2 L = Q_{fenc}##

##Q_{fenc} = 2\pi k l \int^s_0 s'^2 = \frac{2}{3} \pi kls^3##

##D= \frac{ks^2}{3} \hat{s}##
If I use D to find E we have: ##D=\epsilon E \implies E=\frac{ks^2}{3\epsilon_0\epsilon_r}##

Now using to find polarization I have used the E found from D instead of the E found from Gauss's law (please correct me if I am wrong):

##P=D-\epsilon_0 E = \frac{ks^2}{3}(1- \frac{1}{\epsilon_r})##

Is this the correct approach?

I believe ##\rho_{free}=0## since it is a dielectric. I'm guessing we need to have surface charges ##\sigma_{bound}=+P, \ \sigma_{bound}=-P##, but since the cylinder is infinitely long, where would be the two ends in which they are located? :confused:

And for the bound volume charge density I tried to find the gradient:

##\nabla . P = \frac{1}{s} \frac{\partial}{\partial s} (\frac{ks^3}{3} (1-\frac{1}{\epsilon_r})) = ks(1-\frac{1}{\epsilon_r})##

Is this correct? Also, shouldn't the net polarization charge per unit length be zero? How do we know (or can verify) this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello
Well done , you find E , D and P correctly .
As you say that we have free charge density in the dielectric it means we inject free charge and it should be non-zero value because of
gif.latex?%5Cint%20pdv%3DQ_%7Bfree%7D.gif

we have surface polarization charges on s=R location that can be obtain with
gif.latex?%5Crho%20%3D%5Cvec%7BP%7D.%5Chat%7Ban%7D%3D%5Cvec%7BP%7D.%5Chat%7Bas%7D.gif
and for volume charge we have
gif.latex?%5Crho%20%3D-%5Cbigtriangledown%20.%5Cvec%7BP%7D.gif
that you may correct it with multiply it by -1 .

you can verify your answer with knowledge of
atex?-%5Cbigtriangledown%20.%5Cvec%7BP%7D&plus;%5Cvec%7BP%7D.%5Cvec%7Ban%7D%28all-surface%29%3D0.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes roam
Hello!

Thank you for the input.

In your equation for ##\rho_{pol}##, what do "a" and "n" represent?

So for the surface charge density we basically equate that to the magnitude of polarization vector P, and then substitute R into the equation for P?

This is what I did:

##\sigma_{pol}=P=\frac{kR^2}{3} (1- \frac{1}{\epsilon_r})##​
What unit vector do you use to indicate the component of P perpendicular to the surface? (it's not ##\hat{s}## since it's not radial)

Now, for ##\rho_{pol}## I have added the minus sign to get: ##\rho_{pol}=- \nabla . P = -ks(1- 1/\epsilon_r)##.

I didn't understand what your last equation was, could you please type it more clearly? What does "all" and "surface" mean? And how does that prove the net polarization charge per unit length is zero?

How do I verify that the net polarization charge per unit length is zero? Do I need to show that ##Q_{tot} = (\sigma_{bound} \times Area) + (\rho_{bound} \times Volume)=0##?

Since ##\rho_{bound} = - \nabla . P = \frac{-2ks}{3} (1-\frac{1}{\epsilon_r}) \implies \frac{-2kR}{3} (1-\frac{1}{\epsilon_r})## we have:

##\therefore \frac{-2kR}{3}(1-\frac{1}{\epsilon_r}) \pi s^2 h + \frac{ks^2}{3} (1-\frac{1}{\epsilon_r}) 2 \pi sh \neq 0##

This is only equal to zero if I substitute R into all the s variables. But I thought this should only be done with ##\sigma_{bound}##. So what should I do?

Last edited:
Hello
Sorry I response late ( I had & have different exams)
"an" is Perpendicular unit vector on your surface.as you see in this picture each surface has it's "Perpendicular unit vector" that you should calculate
t%257Ban%257D%253D%255Cvec%257BP%257D.%255Chat%257Bas%257D&hash=07d4f4746d868669af314d575488f211.gif
for each of them.
7305655600_1430762731.jpg

In simple medium(with Homogeneous permittivity) that P and E are in the same direction it is easy that you use D=eE+P equation such as in your approach.
257BP%257D.%255Cvec%257Ban%257D%2528all-surface%2529%253D0&hash=f0e6fa13db3ecef36cd732ba7849d3c6.gif

for each surface that you calculate
t%257Ban%257D%253D%255Cvec%257BP%257D.%255Chat%257Bas%257D&hash=07d4f4746d868669af314d575488f211.gif
you should define exact value of (s,phi,z) then summation of all integral of them on their surface and integral of
ho%2520%253D-%255Cbigtriangledown%2520.%255Cvec%257BP%257D&hash=98ed42ec3ba7af8fb39b4cd6b809e058.gif
in specific volume should be zero ( As I remember it doesn't verify the answer when the length of object is infinite

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is dielectric cylinder polarization?

Dielectric cylinder polarization is a phenomenon that occurs when an electric field is applied to a cylinder made of a dielectric material. The electric field causes the molecules within the dielectric to align, creating a net electric dipole moment within the cylinder.

2. How is dielectric cylinder polarization different from regular polarization?

Dielectric cylinder polarization is a specific type of polarization that occurs in cylindrical objects made of dielectric materials. Regular polarization can occur in any object, but dielectric cylinder polarization is unique to cylindrical shapes.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of dielectric cylinder polarization?

The magnitude of dielectric cylinder polarization is affected by the strength of the applied electric field, the dielectric constant of the material, and the geometry of the cylinder. A higher electric field, higher dielectric constant, and longer cylinder will result in a stronger polarization effect.

4. Can dielectric cylinder polarization be reversed?

Yes, dielectric cylinder polarization can be reversed by changing the direction of the applied electric field. This will cause the molecules within the dielectric to realign in the opposite direction, resulting in a reversed net electric dipole moment.

5. How is dielectric cylinder polarization used in practical applications?

Dielectric cylinder polarization has practical applications in devices such as capacitors, antennas, and sensors. It can also be used in insulating materials to increase their dielectric strength and prevent electrical breakdown.