Regular Values (Introduction to Smooth Manifolds)

In summary: I can define a map G : \Phi^{-1}(0,1) → S2 so that G(a,-a2,c,d) = (a,-a2,c,d)/||a,-a2,c,d|| and this map is bijective, and the Jacobian is invertible and hence G is a diffeomorphism. So \Phi^{-1}(0,1) is diffeomorphic to S2. Is that right?In summary, the map \Phi : ℝ4 \rightarrow ℝ2 defined by \Phi (x,y,s,t)=(x2+y, x2+y2+s2+t2+y) has (0,1) as a regular value and the pre-image of (0,1)
BrainHurts

Homework Statement

Consider the map [itex]\Phi[/itex] : ℝ4 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ℝ2

defined by [itex]\Phi[/itex] (x,y,s,t)=(x2+y, yx2+y2+s2+t2+y)

show that (0,1) is a regular value of [itex]\Phi[/itex] and that the level set [itex]\Phi^{-1}[/itex] is diffeomorphic to S2 (unit sphere)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have the Jacobian

D[itex]\Phi[/itex] = [2x 2y 0 0; 2x 2y+1 2s 2t]

the reduced row echelon form of D[itex]\Phi[/itex] is a rank 2 matrix which implies that F is a smooth submersion.

So I guess I'm a little confused on the definition: Let M and N be smooth manifolds

If F:M→N is smooth and let p [itex]\in[/itex] M, then p is a regular point if D[itex]\Phi[/itex] at p is onto.

D[itex]\Phi[/itex] is a rank 2 matrix which implies that D[itex]\Phi[/itex] is onto right?

Another question that I have is that the pre-image of (0,1) under [itex]\Phi[/itex] is a subset of ℝ4 any hints on the diffeomorphism part?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainHurts said:

Homework Statement

Consider the map [itex]\Phi[/itex] : ℝ4 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ℝ2

defined by [itex]\Phi[/itex] (x,y,s,t)=(x2+y, yx2+y2+s2+t2+y)

show that (0,1) is a regular value of [itex]\Phi[/itex] and that the level set [itex]\Phi^{-1}[/itex] is diffeomorphic to S2 (unit sphere)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have the Jacobian

D[itex]\Phi[/itex] = [2x 2y 0 0; 2x 2y+1 2s 2t]

I don't get the same Jacobian

the reduced row echelon form of D[itex]\Phi[/itex] is a rank 2 matrix which implies that F is a smooth submersion.

But ##D\Phi## is not a matrix at all. You should evaluate it in different points. You should ask for which ##(x,y,s,t)## that ##D\Phi_{(x,y,s,t)}## is surjective. This is not true for all ##(x,y,s,t)##. For example ##(0,0,0,0)##.

So I guess I'm a little confused on the definition: Let M and N be smooth manifolds

If F:M→N is smooth and let p [itex]\in[/itex] M, then p is a regular point if D[itex]\Phi[/itex] at p is onto.

D[itex]\Phi[/itex] is a rank 2 matrix which implies that D[itex]\Phi[/itex] is onto right?

Another question that I have is that the pre-image of (0,1) under [itex]\Phi[/itex] is a subset of ℝ4 any hints on the diffeomorphism part?

Shoot!
[itex]\Phi[/itex](x,y,s,t) = (x2+y, x2+y2+s2+t2+y)

D[itex]\Phi[/itex] = [2x 1 0 0; 2x 2y+1 2s 2t]

How is D[itex]\Phi[/itex] not a matrix? I'm confused on that?

I'm going to switch notation up a bit

If we have a smooth map F: M → N and let p [itex]\in[/itex] M, then p is a regular point if

TpF is onto. In this case TpF is the total derivative which we used D[itex]\Phi[/itex].

TpF : TpM → TF(p)N

However I do see your point about D[itex]\Phi[/itex](0,0,0,0), we would have a rank 1 matrix in that case.

Last edited:
BrainHurts said:
Shoot!

D[itex]\Phi[/itex] = [2x 1 0 0; 2x 2y+1 2s 2t]

I still don't agree.

How is D[itex]\Phi[/itex] not a matrix? I'm confused on that?

It's not a matrix in the sense that it depends on specific values of ##(x,y,s,t)##. If you're given specific values, then it is a matrix.

I'm going to switch notation up a bit

If we have a smooth map F: M → N and let p [itex]\in[/itex] M, then p is a regular point if

TpF is onto. In this case TpF is the total derivative which we used D[itex]\Phi[/itex].

TpF : TpM → TF(p)N

However I do see your point about D[itex]\Phi[/itex](0,0,0,0), we would have a rank 1 matrix in that case.

Can you classify all points such that ##D\Phi_{(x,y,s,t)}## is surjective?

sorry my equation was wrong

BrainHurts said:
sorry my equation was wrong

OK, I agree with the Jacobian now. But please don't edit any posts after you already received a reply. Just reply with the correct equation.

So, can you now figure out for which ##(x,y,s,t)## that your Jacobian has rank 2?

First sorry about that reply thing, I realized that once I made the edit, thought about re-editing so that I made my mistake, but then that's just too many re-edits, in any case I won't make that mistake again!

so the point (0,1), the pre-image of (0,1) under [itex]\Phi[/itex] is a subset of ℝ4

so we will look at the specific case:

(x2+y,x2+y2+s2+t2+y) = (0,1)

this means that

x2+y = 0

and that x2+y2+s2+t2+y = 1

this reduces the second component to

y2+s2+t2 = 1 (which is nice sine S2 : y2+s2+t2)

[itex]\Phi^{-1}[/itex](0,1) = {(x,y,s,t)|(x2+y=0 and y2+s2+t2 = 1}

so for all (a,b,c,d) [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\Phi^{-1}[/itex](0,1)

we have D[itex]\Phi[/itex](a,-a2,c,d) is a rank 2 matrix

I think that's good now right?

BrainHurts said:
First sorry about that reply thing, I realized that once I made the edit, thought about re-editing so that I made my mistake, but then that's just too many re-edits, in any case I won't make that mistake again!

so the point (0,1), the pre-image of (0,1) under [itex]\Phi[/itex] is a subset of ℝ4

so we will look at the specific case:

(x2+y,x2+y2+s2+t2+y) = (0,1)

this means that

x2+y = 0

and that x2+y2+s2+t2+y = 1

this reduces the second component to

y2+s2+t2 = 1 (which is nice sine S2 : y2+s2+t2)

[itex]\Phi^{-1}[/itex](0,1) = {(x,y,s,t)|(x2+y=0 and y2+s2+t2 = 1}

so for all (a,b,c,d) [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\Phi^{-1}[/itex](0,1)

we have D[itex]\Phi[/itex](a,-a2,c,d) is a rank 2 matrix

I think that's good now right?

If it's clear to you why ##D\Phi(a,-a^2,c,d)## has rank 2, then it's good.

for all p [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\Phi^{-1}[/itex](0,1), p is a regular point, and it follows that (0,1) is a regular value. Thanks so much! That really helped a lot. I think I have the second part.

What are Regular Values?

Regular values are points on a smooth manifold where the derivative of a given function is non-zero. In other words, regular values are points where the function is well-behaved and does not have any critical points.

How are Regular Values used in Smooth Manifolds?

Regular values are used to define submanifolds, which are subsets of a larger manifold that behave like a smooth manifold themselves. They are also used in the inverse function theorem, which states that a regular value of a function can be used to find a local inverse of the function.

How can Regular Values be identified?

Regular values can be identified by evaluating the derivative of a given function at different points on the manifold. If the derivative is non-zero at a particular point, then that point is a regular value. Alternatively, regular values can also be identified by using the implicit function theorem.

What is the relationship between Regular Values and Critical Points?

Regular values and critical points are opposite concepts. While regular values are points where the derivative is non-zero, critical points are points where the derivative is zero. Regular values are used to define submanifolds, while critical points are used to identify extrema (maximum or minimum) of a given function.

How can Regular Values be used in applications?

Regular values have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, in physics, regular values are used to study the behavior of particles in a phase space. In engineering, regular values are used in optimization problems to find the optimal solution. They are also used in data analysis to identify outlier points in a dataset.