1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of Smooth Manifolds and Boundaries

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    Sorry guys, I have some differential topology homework, and I may be asking a lot of questions in the next few days.

Problem Statement
    Suppose [itex]M_1,...,M_k[/itex] are smooth manifolds and [itex]N[/itex] is a smooth manifold with boundary. Then [itex]M_1×..×M_k×N[/itex] is a smooth manifold with a boundary.

Attempt
    Since [itex]M_1,...,M_k[/itex] are smooth manifolds, we are allowed to use the theorem that states that [itex]M_1×...×M_k[/itex]is smooth with charts [itex](U_1×...×U_k,\phi _1×...×\phi _k)[/itex].

I get the idea that given the smooth manifold $N$ with coordinate chart [itex](U,\psi _i)[/itex] where [itex]\psi _i:N\rightarrow H^n[/itex] ([itex]H^n[/itex] is the half plane of dimension [itex]n[/itex]), we show that [itex]H^n[/itex] restricts [itex]x_i[/itex] to non-negative values, and then the entire product in consideration will only have one coordinate restricted to non-negative values, signifying the presence of a boundary. I'm just really confused about how to put it into words.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The theorem you quoted shows that [itex]M_1 \times \cdots \times M_k[/itex] is a smooth manifold, so it's sufficient to prove the result for [itex]M \times N[/itex], where [itex]M[/itex] is an arbitrary smooth manifold.

Take an arbitrary point [itex](x,y) \in M \times N[/itex]. Then take a chart on [itex]M[/itex] centered at [itex]x[/itex] and a chart on [itex]N[/itex] centered at [itex]y[/itex], work out what the codomain of the product chart is, and confirm that the chart is a homeomorphism.

Then you'll need to show that all product charts are smoothly compatible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted