Diffeq review book suggestions?

Hi, sorry if this is posted/answered all the time, but I need some book advice.

Basically, I will be taking this course in the fall:

Vector field theory; theorems of Gauss, Green, and Stokes; Fourier series and integrals; complex variables; linear partial differential equations; series solutions of ordinary differential equations.

Text: Erwin Resize: Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 8th edition
And required prep knowledge for entering this course is:

First-order differential equations; second-order linear differential equations; determinants and matrices; systems of linear differential equations; Laplace transforms.

Text: Elementary Differential Equations, Boyce and DiPrima, 7th ed.
Now I've taken tons of Linear Algebra and Multivariable calculus, but I need brush up on diffeqs. Basically, I'd like a book that reviews/covers what I need to know from the second class.

I thought of Schaum's outlines, but I also figured that Resize's book might review in the first couple chapters what I need to know also. Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

J77

The Boyce and DiPrima text is quite basic - and not a hard read - why not use that one?

If not, Strogatz: Nonlinear dynamics and chaos: With applications to physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering, is an option.

Though, for a prerequisite, I'd go for B&DiP

I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to drop extra $$$ for another textbook, but I guess it isn't a big deal. Is Boyce & DiPrima the kind of text scientists and engineers should always keep on their shelves as a reference? If so I'll consider buying it, otherwise, if I do buy a textbook I would like to have one to keep around forever.

J77

B&DiP's more of a core book for an UG maths course on DEs.

Strogatz has more applicable examples.

(I still have B&DiP on my shelf from UG days tho' - and still look to it from time to time.)

Can you not get it out of the library - read through it, and see if you like what you see.

jbusc said:
I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to drop extra $$$ for another textbook, but I guess it isn't a big deal. Is Boyce & DiPrima the kind of text scientists and engineers should always keep on their shelves as a reference? If so I'll consider buying it, otherwise, if I do buy a textbook I would like to have one to keep around forever.
Arfken, Mathematical Methods for Physicists?
useful forever :)

mathwonk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
braun, ode book with applications, is available cheap and to me is highly preferable to bdip.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving