BA or BS in Physics: Why Does Berkeley Only Offer a BA?

In summary, the difference between a BA and BS in physics depends on the school. Some schools, like MIT, offer a BS which may be geared towards those going on to grad school while a BA may be for those interested in teaching or double-majoring. However, if a school only offers a BA, like Berkeley, it doesn't mean the degree is inferior. Other schools may offer both options, but the difference may be in their general education requirements rather than the actual physics program. Overall, there is no national standard for distinguishing between the two degrees.
Mr Davis 97
I know that this question has been answered before, but what is the difference between a BA and a BS in physics? Specifically in reference to UC Berkeley. Berkeley only has a BA in physics, but it is not like this is a second rate degree, considering that Berkeley is known for its physics program. So this leads to my question. Why does Berkeley only have a BA? Why do other schools have the option of either BA or BS? Is BS better than BA (more focused)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the school. MIT, for example, gives a BS in music.

So the fact that Berkeley only offers a BA doesn't mean much? It's just semantics?

Do you see Berkeley grads having trouble moving on? So don't worry about it.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Why do other schools have the option of either BA or BS? Is BS better than BA (more focused)?

That's one possibility. The BS may be aimed at people going on to grad school, while the BA may be for people who want to teach high-school physics, or who want to double-major with something else. The BS would be "better" for some purposes, the BA "better" for others. But if a school offers only the BA, that doesn't mean it's garbage. Berkeley is one obvious counterexample. I went to a small college that offered only BA's in everything. It wasn't anything near the stature of Berkeley, but it was good enough for me to get into Michigan for grad school, and the other three physics majors in my graduating class also got into grad school at various places.

At the school where I work now, some departments offer BA, and others offer BS. In the past, the difference was in the general education requirements. Now there's no difference, the gen eds are the same for everyone, but the names of the degrees are still different.

There's no national standard that I'm aware of, that distinguishes between the two degrees.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Also I see that Princeton and UChicago only offer BA's in physics, so I doubt that there's much a distinction in these scenarios.

1. What is the main difference between a BA and a BS degree?

A BA (Bachelor of Arts) degree focuses on a broad range of subjects, including humanities, social sciences, and languages. A BS (Bachelor of Science) degree, on the other hand, is more specialized and typically focuses on subjects such as math, science, and technology.

2. Are there different requirements for earning a BA versus a BS degree?

Yes, the requirements for earning a BA or a BS degree can vary depending on the college or university. Typically, a BA degree requires more general education courses while a BS degree requires more courses related to the specific major.

3. Can a BA degree be more beneficial than a BS degree?

It ultimately depends on the individual's career goals and the job market for their chosen field. In some industries, a BA degree may be more valuable because of its focus on critical thinking and communication skills. In other fields, a BS degree may be preferred for its specialized knowledge and technical skills.

4. Can a BA and a BS degree lead to different career paths?

Yes, a BA and a BS degree can lead to different career paths due to the varying focus of each degree. For example, a BA degree may be more beneficial for careers in fields such as journalism, law, or education, while a BS degree may be more useful for careers in fields like engineering, computer science, or healthcare.

5. Can a student switch from a BA to a BS degree program?

Yes, it is often possible for a student to switch from a BA to a BS degree program, or vice versa. However, it is important to note that this may result in additional coursework or a longer time to complete the degree. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best path for achieving your academic and career goals.