Difference between chemical potential, ionization energy, band gap energy, and Fermi level?

In summary, the Kohn-Sham Eigen values in Density functional theory have no physical meaning except for the highest Eigen value which has been proven to correspond to the chemical potential. The chemical potential is related to the Fermi level and can also be expressed in terms of ionization potential and electron affinity.
new_986
Kohn-Sham Eigen values?

Hi everybody...
I have read about Density functional theory and Kohn-Sham theorem, I have found in many references that the Kohn-Sham Eigen values have no physically meaning, except the highest Eigen value has been proved by the Sham and Kohn as the Chemical potential and by perdew,Parr,Levy and Balduz as the negative of the ionization energy
my question is, what is the different between chemical potential, ionization energy, band gap energy and Fermi level?
I really wanted understand this but I couldn't..
thanks with best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
new_986 said:
Kohn-Sham Eigen values?

Hi everybody...
I have read about Density functional theory and Kohn-Sham theorem, I have found in many references that the Kohn-Sham Eigen values have no physically meaning, except the highest Eigen value has been proved by the Sham and Kohn as the Chemical potential and by perdew,Parr,Levy and Balduz as the negative of the ionization energy
my question is, what is the different between chemical potential, ionization energy, band gap energy and Fermi level?
I really wanted understand this but I couldn't..
thanks with best regards
It's kind of difficult to understand what all this means. The lowest eigenenergy of the Hamiltonian in DFT corresponds to the ground state energy. The derivative of energy with respect to particle number at constant potential ##V## in DFT corresponds to chemical potential (which corresponds to the Fermi level):
$$\mu=\left(\frac{\partial E}{\partial N}\right)_V$$
The second derivative corresponds to chemical hardness:
$$\eta=\left(\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial N^2}\right)_V$$
They are related to ionization potential ##I## and electron affinity ##A## via:
$$\mu\approx\frac{1}{2}(-I-A)$$
$$\eta\approx\frac{1}{2}(I-A)$$
So that ##\eta-\mu\approx I##.

1. What are Kohn-Sham Eigen values?

Kohn-Sham Eigen values are a set of energy values that are used in the Kohn-Sham density functional theory (DFT) to describe the electronic structure of a material. They represent the energy levels of individual electrons in a system.

2. How are Kohn-Sham Eigen values calculated?

Kohn-Sham Eigen values are calculated using the Kohn-Sham equation, which is a modified version of the Schrödinger equation. It takes into account the electron-electron interactions and the exchange-correlation potential, which is a functional of the electron density.

3. What is the significance of Kohn-Sham Eigen values?

Kohn-Sham Eigen values are important because they provide information about the electronic structure of a material, such as the energy levels of the electrons and their occupation. This information can be used to predict various properties of the material, such as its electrical conductivity and reactivity.

4. How do Kohn-Sham Eigen values differ from Hartree-Fock Eigen values?

Kohn-Sham Eigen values differ from Hartree-Fock Eigen values in that they take into account the electron-electron interactions and the exchange-correlation potential, while Hartree-Fock Eigen values do not. This makes Kohn-Sham Eigen values more accurate for describing the electronic structure of a material.

5. Can Kohn-Sham Eigen values be experimentally determined?

No, Kohn-Sham Eigen values cannot be experimentally determined. They are theoretical values that are calculated using the Kohn-Sham equation and are used to explain and predict the properties of a material. However, experimental techniques such as X-ray crystallography and spectroscopy can provide information about the electronic structure of a material, which can then be compared to the predicted Kohn-Sham Eigen values.