Difference Between Incomplete & Codominance: Why Quantitative Effect is Absent?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the source discusses the difference between incomplete dominance and codominance. In the 5th point of codominance, it is mentioned that there is no quantitative effect. This is not referring to the genotype or phenotype ratios, but rather the degree of the trait caused by the allele. Incompletely dominant alleles are considered quantitative as they result in a stronger phenotype when two copies are present. This is seen in traits such as flower color, where one copy of the allele results in slightly red flowers and two copies result in a stronger red coloration.
Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure that I understand what the source means by talking about a "quantitative effect," but it's probalby not referring to the genotype or phenotype ratios in a cross. If I were to take a guess, I would say that, it's referring to the trait caused by the allele. Some traits are all or none traits (e.g. blood type) where you either have the trait or you do not. Other traits are more quantitative (say, height or in the example provided, flower color) where there are different degrees associated with the trait. Incompletely dominant alleles are quantitative in that having two copies of the allele generates a stronger phenotype than having only one copy of the allele. For example, in the flower color case, one copy of the allele gives slightly red flowers while two copies of the allele give flowers that have stronger red coloration.

Likes gracy
I understood.Your answers are always qualitative.:smile:

Likes Ygggdrasil

Related to Difference Between Incomplete & Codominance: Why Quantitative Effect is Absent?

What is the difference between incomplete dominance and codominance?

In incomplete dominance, neither allele is completely dominant over the other, resulting in a heterozygous phenotype that is a blend of both alleles. In codominance, both alleles are expressed fully in the phenotype, resulting in a heterozygous phenotype that shows characteristics of both alleles.

How is the quantitative effect absent in incomplete dominance and codominance?

In incomplete dominance and codominance, the presence of a third phenotype means that there is no quantitative effect, as there is no gradual change in phenotypes based on the amount of expressed alleles. Instead, the expression of both alleles is equal and distinct.

Can incomplete dominance and codominance be observed in the same organism?

Yes, it is possible for an organism to exhibit both incomplete dominance and codominance at the same time. This would result in a phenotype that is a blend of both alleles and shows characteristics of both alleles being expressed.

Are incomplete dominance and codominance more common in certain organisms?

Incomplete dominance and codominance can be observed in various organisms, but they are more commonly seen in plants and animals with multiple alleles for a particular gene. For example, flower color in snapdragons and blood type in humans.

How do incomplete dominance and codominance affect genetic inheritance?

Incomplete dominance and codominance do not follow the typical dominant-recessive inheritance pattern. Instead, they result in a more complex inheritance pattern, with three distinct phenotypes and equal expression of both alleles. This can make predicting and understanding genetic inheritance more challenging.