Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between ISDN and public switched telephone networks (PSTN)?

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1
    hi all.

stuggling to determine the difference between ISDN and public switched telephone networks (PSTN). I know what each one is individually i just dunno how they relate to each other... Does ISDN use PSTN???
    What i undersatnd is that PSTNs have only transmitted voice in the past but now because of ISDN other types of data are also transmitted over the telephone network. So is ISDN some network that works on top of PSTN?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

ISDN, whether BRI or PRI leave the premise and are routed to an ISDN Node.they are then carried as SDS (Switched digital service). A true ISDN connection ISDN to ISDN would not utilize the PSTN. However, non ISDN calls can be made from an ISDN line to a pots line and the egress can cross the PSTN.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?