Difference between open sphere and epsilon-neighbourhood - Metric Spaces

In summary: I'll stick with open ball, too. Thanks.In summary, the definitions in Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis (Kolmogorov and Fomin) state that an open sphere in a metric space is a set of points satisfying a certain condition, with a fixed point as the center and a number as the radius. An ε-neighbourhood of a point x is defined as an open sphere with radius ε and center x. This definition may seem similar to the open sphere definition, but it is specifically centered at x and not x_0. This is an important distinction and may help clarify any confusion about the definition.
TheShrike
In Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis (Kolmogorov and Fomin) the definitions are as follows:

An open sphere [itex]S(x_0,r)[/itex] in a metric space [itex]R[/itex] (with metric function [itex]\rho(x,y)[/itex]) is the set of all points [itex]x\in R[/itex] satisfying [itex]\rho(x,x_0)<r[/itex]. The fixed point [itex]x_0[/itex] is called the center; the number [itex]r[/itex] is called the radius.

An ε-neighbourhood of the point [itex]x[/itex], denoted [itex]O(x,\epsilon)[/itex], is an open sphere of radius ε and center [itex]x_0[/itex].

How is the ε-neighbourhood a significant definition? It seems to be just the open sphere with a different radius symbol. If we have a neighbourhood of a point [itex]x[/itex] (as per the definition) does this [itex]x[/itex] have to lie within the open sphere? I mean, I assume it must, but this doesn't seem to be captured by the definition. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
TheShrike said:
In Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis (Kolmogorov and Fomin) the definitions are as follows:

An open sphere [itex]S(x_0,r)[/itex] in a metric space [itex]R[/itex] (with metric function [itex]\rho(x,y)[/itex]) is the set of all points [itex]x\in R[/itex] satisfying [itex]\rho(x,x_0)<r[/itex]. The fixed point [itex]x_0[/itex] is called the center; the number [itex]r[/itex] is called the radius.

An ε-neighbourhood of the point [itex]x[/itex], denoted [itex]O(x,\epsilon)[/itex], is an open sphere of radius ε and center [itex]x_0[/itex].
No. an [itex]\epsilon-neighborhood[/itex] of the point [itex]x[/itex] is open sphere with radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and center x, not some [itex]x_0[/itex] (that wouldn't make sense because [itex]x_0[/itex] is not mentioned in the notation "[itex]O(x, \epsilon)[/itex]").

How is the ε-neighbourhood a significant definition? It seems to be just the open sphere with a different radius symbol. If we have a neighbourhood of a point [itex]x[/itex] (as per the definition) does this [itex]x[/itex] have to lie within the open sphere? I mean, I assume it must, but this doesn't seem to be captured by the definition. What am I missing?

Thanks.
An "[itex]\epsilon[/itex]-neighborhood of x" is specifically the open ball of radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] with radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] that is centered at x.

An ε-neighbourhood of the point x, denoted O(x,ϵ), is an open sphere of radius ε and center x0.

I think this should read

An ε-neighbourhood of the point x, denoted O(x,ϵ), is an open sphere of radius ε and center x.

I have bolded the difference.

I prefer the term open ball to open sphere however.

edit I see Halls of ivy just beat me.

:biggrin:

Studiot said:
I think this should read

An ε-neighbourhood of the point x, denoted O(x,ϵ), is an open sphere of radius ε and center x.

I have bolded the difference.

I prefer the term open ball to open sphere however.

edit I see Halls of ivy just beat me.

:biggrin:
Yahoo!:tongue:

That's as I suspected. There must be a typo in the book.

Suddenly it all makes sense. :smile:

What is an open sphere in a metric space?

An open sphere in a metric space is a collection of points that are within a certain distance, called the radius, from a given center point. The distance between any two points in the open sphere is less than the radius.

What is an epsilon-neighbourhood in a metric space?

An epsilon-neighbourhood in a metric space is a subset of points that are within a distance, called epsilon, from a given point. This distance can be any positive real number, and the points within the epsilon-neighbourhood can be at any distance less than or equal to epsilon from the given point.

What is the difference between an open sphere and an epsilon-neighbourhood in a metric space?

The main difference between an open sphere and an epsilon-neighbourhood in a metric space is the way the distance is defined. In an open sphere, the distance is measured from a fixed center point, while in an epsilon-neighbourhood, the distance is measured from a given point and can be any positive real number.

How are open spheres and epsilon-neighbourhoods used in mathematics?

Open spheres and epsilon-neighbourhoods are important concepts in topology and analysis. They are used to define open sets, continuity of functions, and convergence of sequences in metric spaces. They also play a crucial role in the definition of topological and metric properties, such as openness, compactness, and completeness.

Can an open sphere and an epsilon-neighbourhood be the same in a metric space?

Yes, an open sphere and an epsilon-neighbourhood can be the same in a metric space if the radius of the open sphere is equal to the epsilon distance. In this case, the collection of points in the open sphere and the subset of points in the epsilon-neighbourhood will be identical.