1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between open sphere and epsilon-neighbourhood - Metric Spaces

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    In Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis (Kolmogorov and Fomin) the definitions are as follows:

An open sphere [itex]S(x_0,r)[/itex] in a metric space [itex]R[/itex] (with metric function [itex]\rho(x,y)[/itex]) is the set of all points [itex]x\in R[/itex] satisfying [itex]\rho(x,x_0)<r[/itex]. The fixed point [itex]x_0[/itex] is called the center; the number [itex]r[/itex] is called the radius.

An ε-neighbourhood of the point [itex]x[/itex], denoted [itex]O(x,\epsilon)[/itex], is an open sphere of radius ε and center [itex]x_0[/itex].

How is the ε-neighbourhood a significant definition? It seems to be just the open sphere with a different radius symbol. If we have a neighbourhood of a point [itex]x[/itex] (as per the definition) does this [itex]x[/itex] have to lie within the open sphere? I mean, I assume it must, but this doesn't seem to be captured by the definition. What am I missing?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. an [itex]\epsilon-neighborhood[/itex] of the point [itex]x[/itex] is open sphere with radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and center x, not some [itex]x_0[/itex] (that wouldn't make sense because [itex]x_0[/itex] is not mentioned in the notation "[itex]O(x, \epsilon)[/itex]").

An "[itex]\epsilon[/itex]-neighborhood of x" is specifically the open ball of radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] with radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] that is centered at x.

4. Jul 8, 2012 #3
    I think this should read

An ε-neighbourhood of the point x, denoted O(x,ϵ), is an open sphere of radius ε and center x.

I have bolded the difference.

I prefer the term open ball to open sphere however.

edit I see Halls of ivy just beat me.

:biggrin:

5. Jul 8, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yahoo!:tongue:

6. Jul 9, 2012 #5
    That's as I suspected. There must be a typo in the book.

Suddenly it all makes sense. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook