Difference between russel-saunders-coupling and spin-orbit-coupling

• A
  • Thread starter JanSpintronics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, spin-orbit coupling is the coupling between the orbit and spin of one electron, while Russell-Saunders is the coupling of the spin of many electrons and the orbital momentum of many electrons. In lighter atoms, where the electrons are not very relativistic, spin-orbit coupling is small and the total orbital angular momentum and total spin angular momentum are good quantum numbers. In heavier atoms, where the electrons are more relativistic, spin-orbit coupling is large and total spin and orbital angular momentum are no longer good quantum numbers. In this case, the spin and orbital angular momenta of each electron must be added separately to obtain total angular momentum. If only one electron is considered, both couplings are identical.
JanSpintronics
Hello everybody,

Im confused with the difference of the both coupling phenomena, is it just the difference in the amount of electron?
So spin-orbit-coupling is just the coupling between orbit and spin of one electron and the russel-saunders is the coupling of a spin of many electrons and the orbit momentum of many electrons?
So if we just consider 1electron the both couplings are the same?

Thank you for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Russell-Saunders is spin-orbit coupling, where spin-orbit coupling is small (light atoms where the electrons aren't particularly relativistic). In this case, the total orbital angular momentum ##\mathbf{L}## and the total spin angular momentum ##\mathbf{S}## are both good quantum numbers (meaning their operators commute with the Hamiltonian to a good approximation). So we obtain total angular momentum ##\mathbf{J}## simply by adding total spin and total orbital angular momentum: ##\mathbf{J} = \mathbf{L} + \mathbf{S}##.

In heavier atoms, where the electrons are relativistic, the spin orbit coupling is quite large, and total spin/orbital angular momentum are no longer good quantum numbers. In this case, we have to add the spin and orbital angular momenta for each electron separately (##\mathbf{\ell}_i## and ##\mathbf{s}_i##, respectively) to get total angular momentum:
$$\mathbf{J} = \sum_i {\left(\mathbf{\ell}_i + \mathbf{s}_i\right)}$$

Likes vanhees71
Hello

Well that sentense:
TeethWhitener said:
Russell-Saunders is spin-orbit coupling, where spin-orbit coupling is small
That doesn't make sense for me, but obviously you talk about 2 different spin orbit coupling but i don't know what you meant with the "small" spin orbit coupling and the other which you identify with Russel saunders coupling. Can you explain that please?

Do you meant with the "small" spin orbit coupling the coupling between the electron spin and orbit momentum, therefore with the russel saunders the coupling of the collective spin and orbit momentum?

And to understand what you wrote, you mean that this is true:

$$ J_1=\sum_{i}(s_i + l_i) \neq \sum_i s_i + \sum_i l_i= J_2 $$ ??

And just quick to come back to the question if we just consider 1 electron, are they both the same, identical?

JanSpintronics said:
That doesn't make sense for me, but obviously you talk about 2 different spin orbit coupling but i don't know what you meant with the "small" spin orbit coupling and the other which you identify with Russel saunders coupling. Can you explain that please?
I don’t know if I can be clearer than the part you quoted. This link:
http://users.aber.ac.uk/ruw/teach/327/lsjj.php
might be of more help. It goes through Russell-Saunders (LS) coupling and jj coupling with examples.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the main difference between Russel-Saunders-coupling and spin-orbit-coupling?

The main difference between Russel-Saunders-coupling and spin-orbit-coupling is the physical phenomenon they describe. Russel-Saunders-coupling describes the coupling of orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum, while spin-orbit-coupling describes the interaction between the spin of an electron and its motion around the nucleus.

2. How do Russel-Saunders-coupling and spin-orbit-coupling affect the energy levels of an atom?

Russel-Saunders-coupling and spin-orbit-coupling both contribute to the splitting of energy levels in an atom. Russel-Saunders-coupling causes the energy levels to split into fine structure levels, while spin-orbit-coupling causes further splitting into hyperfine structure levels.

3. Which coupling is stronger, Russel-Saunders-coupling or spin-orbit-coupling?

Spin-orbit-coupling is generally stronger than Russel-Saunders-coupling. This is because spin-orbit-coupling involves the interaction between the spin and motion of an electron, which is a stronger force than the interaction between orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum in Russel-Saunders-coupling.

4. Can both Russel-Saunders-coupling and spin-orbit-coupling be present in an atom at the same time?

Yes, both Russel-Saunders-coupling and spin-orbit-coupling can be present in an atom at the same time. In fact, both couplings are necessary to fully describe the energy levels and spectral lines of an atom.

5. How do Russel-Saunders-coupling and spin-orbit-coupling affect the spectral lines of an atom?

Russel-Saunders-coupling and spin-orbit-coupling both contribute to the fine and hyperfine structure of spectral lines in an atom. These couplings cause the spectral lines to split into multiple lines, each corresponding to a different energy level. This splitting allows for more precise measurements and identification of elements in spectroscopy.