How Do You Determine Transient Response Voltages in a Series RLC Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discussed how to analyze a series RLC circuit and determine the voltage across each element due to the transient response. The circuit was powered by a square wave voltage source with a peak-to-peak voltage of 4V and frequency of 1kHz, and the circuit parameters were given as R=50 kohms, L=33mH, and C=1 nF. The equations used to solve the circuit were also provided, with the assumption that the circuit was overdamped. The attempt at a solution involved comparing calculated results to experimental values, but there seemed to be discrepancies. The summary also mentioned the values that were obtained for V(0), I(0), A1, A2, and the
lvjudge

Homework Statement

Analyze a series RLC circuit and determine the voltage across each element due to the transient response. The circuit is powered by a square wave voltage source with a peak-to-peak voltage of 4V and frequency of 1kHz.
R=50 kohms
L=33mH
C=1 nF

Homework Equations

Since this circuit turns out to be overdamped:
I(t)=A1es1*t+A2es2*t
Alpha=R/(2L)
Omega_0=1/(sqrt(L*C))
S1=-alpha+sqrt((alpha^2)-(omega_0^2))
S2=-alpha-sqrt((alpha^2)-(omega_0^2))
I=V/Z
X_L=2*pi*f*L
X_C=1/(2*pi*f*C)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve this the best I can, but the results do not seem to come out right. I did an experiment using the circuit, so I'm comparing the calculated results to the experimental values and I am fairly confident in the experiment. I've summarized my work below, please let me know where I am going wrong.
V(0)=-2V
I(0)=-2/Z=-2/sqrt(((X_L-X_C)^2)+(R^2))=-1.20029E-5
since I(0)=A1+A2, A1=I(0)-A2
at T=0, di/dt=0
di/dt=s1A1+s2A2==>s2A2+s1(I(0)-A2)
A2=-(S1*I0))/(S2-S1)
solving for A1 and A2 give
I(t)=1.2169E-5e^(s1t)-1.65E-7e^(s2t)
Vr(t)=I(t)*R
Vc(t)=I(t)*X_C
Vl(t)=I(t)*X_L

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but the values are coming out much higher than expected. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would first like to commend the effort put into solving this problem. However, there are a few areas where I believe some mistakes may have been made. Firstly, the equation for the current in a series RLC circuit is not I(t)=A1es1*t+A2es2*t, but rather I(t)=A1e^(s1t)+A2e^(s2t). This is because the current in a series circuit is the sum of the currents through each element, and each of these currents follows an exponential decay or growth function. Additionally, the value of I(0) is not -2/Z, but rather -2/R. This is because the voltage across the resistor is equal to the voltage of the source (since they are in series) and therefore the current through the resistor is simply V/R. Finally, the value of A2 should be positive, as it represents the initial current through the inductor. With these adjustments, the equations for the current and voltage across each element should be as follows:

I(t)=-0.00004e^(-alpha+sqrt((alpha^2)-(omega_0^2))t)+0.00002e^(-alpha-sqrt((alpha^2)-(omega_0^2))t)

Vr(t)=I(t)*R

Vc(t)=I(t)*X_C

Vl(t)=I(t)*X_L

I hope this helps in solving the problem and provides a more accurate analysis of the series RLC circuit.

What is a Series RLC Circuit?

A Series RLC (resistor-inductor-capacitor) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor connected in series. This means that the components are connected one after the other in a loop or chain.

What is the purpose of analyzing a Series RLC Circuit?

The purpose of analyzing a Series RLC Circuit is to understand how the components interact with each other and how the circuit behaves. This can help identify any issues or inefficiencies in the circuit and determine the optimal values for the components in order to achieve a desired outcome.

What are the key equations used to analyze a Series RLC Circuit?

The key equations used to analyze a Series RLC Circuit are Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, and the equations for calculating impedance, current, and voltage in a series circuit. These equations take into account the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, as well as the frequency of the input signal.

What factors affect the behavior of a Series RLC Circuit?

The behavior of a Series RLC Circuit is affected by several factors, including the values of the components, the frequency of the input signal, and the quality factor (Q) of the circuit. The Q factor is a measure of the circuit's efficiency and can greatly impact its behavior.

How can the analysis of a Series RLC Circuit be applied in real-world situations?

The analysis of a Series RLC Circuit can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in the design and optimization of electronic circuits, in power transmission and distribution systems, and in the study of resonance phenomena. It can also be used in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues in electronic systems.