Differentiability of a function -- question on bounding

In summary, the function defined as ##f(x,y) = \left\{ \begin{array}{lr} \frac{xy^2}{x^2 + y^2} & (x,y)\neq{}(0,0)\\ 0 & (x,y)=(0,0) \end{array} \right.## is not differentiable at (0,0) because its directional derivative is not a linear function of the direction. Although the limit exists along any direction, it is not linear in the variables. Therefore, it does not satisfy the definition of differentiability at (0,0).
cacofolius

Homework Statement

I need to see if the function defined as##f(x,y) = \left\{
\begin{array}{lr}
\frac{xy^2}{x^2 + y^2} & (x,y)\neq{}(0,0)\\
0 & (x,y)=(0,0)
\end{array}
\right.##

is differentiable at (0,0)

Homework Equations

[/B]
A function is differentiable at a point, if It can be approximated at that point by a linear transformation,

##\lim_{(u, v) \rightarrow (0, 0)} \frac {f(u, v) - df_{(0, 0)}(u, v) - f(0, 0)} {||(u, v)||} =0##

Useful bounds:

##|u|\leq ||(u, v)||;
|v|\leq ||(u, v)||##
##|u|^2=u^2\leq ||(u, v)||^2= (\sqrt{u^2+v^2})^2 = (u^2+v^2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Both partial derivatives are zero at the point, so all I have left is

##\lim_{(u, v) \rightarrow (0, 0)} \frac {\frac{uv^2}{u^2 + v^2}} {||(u, v)||} =\lim_{(u, v) \rightarrow (0, 0)} \frac {uv^2}{(u^2 + v^2)||(u, v)||} ##

Now the bounds:

##\frac {uv^2}{(u^2 + v^2)||(u, v)||}\leq\frac {u||(u, v)||^2}{(u^2 + v^2)||(u, v)||} = \frac {u||(u, v)||}{(u^2 + v^2)} \leq \frac {||(u, v)||^2}{(u^2 + v^2)}= \frac{||(u, v)||^2}{||(u, v)||^2}=1##Does this means that the function is not differentiable at (0,0), or did I make a mistake along the way ? Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
In polar coordinates, the function looks a lot better-behaved:

Letting [itex]x=r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y = r sin(\theta)[/itex], then your function in polar coordinates becomes [itex]r sin(\theta) cos(\theta)[/itex], which seems very innocuous.

Likes cacofolius
Thanks for the help!

stevendaryl said:
In polar coordinates, the function looks a lot better-behaved:

Letting [itex]x=r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y = r sin(\theta)[/itex], then your function in polar coordinates becomes [itex]r sin(\theta) cos(\theta)[/itex], which seems very innocuous.

That should be ##r \cos(\theta) \sin^2(\theta)##.

Likes stevendaryl and cacofolius
cacofolius said:

Homework Statement

I need to see if the function defined as##f(x,y) = \left\{
\begin{array}{lr}
\frac{xy^2}{x^2 + y^2} & (x,y)\neq{}(0,0)\\
0 & (x,y)=(0,0)
\end{array}
\right.##

is differentiable at (0,0)

Homework Equations

[/B]
A function is differentiable at a point, if It can be approximated at that point by a linear transformation,

##\lim_{(u, v) \rightarrow (0, 0)} \frac {f(u, v) - df_{(0, 0)}(u, v) - f(0, 0)} {||(u, v)||} =0##

Useful bounds:

##|u|\leq ||(u, v)||;
|v|\leq ||(u, v)||##
##|u|^2=u^2\leq ||(u, v)||^2= (\sqrt{u^2+v^2})^2 = (u^2+v^2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Both partial derivatives are zero at the point, so all I have left is

##\lim_{(u, v) \rightarrow (0, 0)} \frac {\frac{uv^2}{u^2 + v^2}} {||(u, v)||} =\lim_{(u, v) \rightarrow (0, 0)} \frac {uv^2}{(u^2 + v^2)||(u, v)||} ##

Now the bounds:

##\frac {uv^2}{(u^2 + v^2)||(u, v)||}\leq\frac {u||(u, v)||^2}{(u^2 + v^2)||(u, v)||} = \frac {u||(u, v)||}{(u^2 + v^2)} \leq \frac {||(u, v)||^2}{(u^2 + v^2)}= \frac{||(u, v)||^2}{||(u, v)||^2}=1##Does this means that the function is not differentiable at (0,0), or did I make a mistake along the way ? Thanks in advance for the help.
How does showing that ##\frac {uv^2}{(u^2 + v^2)||(u, v)||} \leq 1## prove that the function is not differentiable in (0,0)?
Use @stevendaryl 's suggestion (as corrected by @Ray Vickson ) to show that the limit isn't 0 or doesn't exist.

Likes cacofolius
You're right, Samy_A, it doesn't, and with the polar coordinates I have a function which is the product of two functions ##H(r,\theta)=F(r)G(\theta)## and while ##\lim_{(r) \rightarrow (0)} F(r) = 0##, ##G(\theta)## is bounded in [0,2pi], therefore the original function is differentiable in (0,0). Thank you, everybody.

cacofolius said:
You're right, Samy_A, it doesn't, and with the polar coordinates I have a function which is the product of two functions ##H(r,\theta)=F(r)G(\theta)## and while ##\lim_{(r) \rightarrow (0)} F(r) = 0##, ##G(\theta)## is bounded in [0,2pi], therefore the original function is differentiable in (0,0). Thank you, everybody.

Isn't the definition of differentiability at (0,0) that there exist constants ##a## and ##b## such that
[tex] f(x,y) = f(0,0) + a x + b y + o\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} \right)?[/tex]
That is, we have ##f(x,y) \approx f(0,0) + a x + by## "to first order in small ##|x|,|y|##".

What would that say in polar coordinates? Does your function satisfy that property?

cacofolius said:
You had to prove that ##\displaystyle \lim_{(u, v) \rightarrow (0, 0)} \frac {uv^2}{(u^2 + v^2)||(u, v)||}=0##.
As has been suggested, switching to polar coordinates makes live easier here.
If the limit is 0, your function is differentiable in (0,0). (That is assuming the partial derivatives in (0,0) are both 0. You stated this without proof, but I think it is indeed correct.)

But is the limit 0? Does the limit even exist?

Likes cacofolius
I'm sorry, that happens for hurrying. I forgot to divide by ##||(u, v)||## in the definition, which gives me an extra ##r## in the denominator:

##\frac {r^3 cos(\theta) sin(\theta)^2} {r^3} = cos(\theta) sin(\theta)^2##

which means it doesn't exist, therefore is not differentiable in (0,0). Thanks again for your patience.

cacofolius said:
I'm sorry, that happens for hurrying. I forgot to divide by ##||(u, v)||## in the definition, which gives me an extra ##r## in the denominator:

##\frac {r^3 cos(\theta) sin(\theta)^2} {r^3} = cos(\theta) sin(\theta)^2##

which means it doesn't exist, therefore is not differentiable in (0,0). Thanks again for your patience.

No: the limit DOES exist along any direction, but is not linear in ##\sin(\theta)## and ##\cos(\theta)##. That is why the function is not differentiable: its directional derivative is not a linear function of the direction.

Likes cacofolius
Hi Ray Vickson, I was trying to use the theorem that states that if I can decompose the function like this ##F(r,\theta)=H(r)G(\theta)## and ##\lim_{(r) \rightarrow (0)} H(r) = 0## and ##G(\theta)## is bounded in [0,2pi] then the original function is differentiable, but I see now that since the r part is cancelled, all I have left is
##F(\theta)=cos(\theta)sin(\theta)^2## and therefore, I cannot use this theorem.

Ray Vickson said:
the limit DOES exist along any direction, but is not linear in sin(θ)sin⁡(θ)\sin(\theta) and cos(θ)cos⁡(θ)\cos(\theta). That is why the function is not differentiable: its directional derivative is not a linear function of the direction.

Do you mean that is not linear in the variable ##\theta##? Or, for example, if what I get is ##F(\theta)=sin(\theta)## I could say it is differentiable, because it is linear in the variable ##sin(\theta)## (Would this variable come from the definition in the transformation to polar coordinates?)

And another question, is there some theorem or text you can direct me to that states that if the directional derivative is not a linear function of the direction then the function is not differentiable? I didn't know that, and my notes don't mention a case where the ##r## part is gone. Thank you for your patience.

cacofolius said:
Hi Ray Vickson, I was trying to use the theorem that states that if I can decompose the function like this ##F(r,\theta)=H(r)G(\theta)## and ##\lim_{(r) \rightarrow (0)} H(r) = 0## and ##G(\theta)## is bounded in [0,2pi] then the original function is differentiable, but I see now that since the r part is cancelled, all I have left is
##F(\theta)=cos(\theta)sin(\theta)^2## and therefore, I cannot use this theorem.
Do you mean that is not linear in the variable ##\theta##? Or, for example, if what I get is ##F(\theta)=sin(\theta)## I could say it is differentiable, because it is linear in the variable ##sin(\theta)## (Would this variable come from the definition in the transformation to polar coordinates?)

And another question, is there some theorem or text you can direct me to that states that if the directional derivative is not a linear function of the direction then the function is not differentiable? I didn't know that, and my notes don't mention a case where the ##r## part is gone. Thank you for your patience.

NO, as in #10, I said it is not linear in ##\cos(\theta)## and ##\sin(\theta)##. Look again at #7, where it says that we need ##f(x,y) \approx f(0,0) + a x + by## to first order in small ##x,y##; now put ##x = r \cos(\theta)## and ##y = r \sin(\theta)##. You do not have ##f \approx a r \cos(\theta) + b r \sin(\theta)## for constants ##a,b##, so you do not satisfy that differentiability criterion.

I do not know how your textbook/notes/instructor defines the concept of "differentiability" in the multivariate case (which is trickier and more stringent than in the univariate case), so I don't know how to answer your general question in that regard.

Likes cacofolius
Thanks Ray, I understand now what you meant.

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

When a function is differentiable, it means that it has a derivative at every point in its domain. This derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point.

2. How can I determine if a function is differentiable at a specific point?

A function is differentiable at a point if its derivative exists at that point. To determine this, you can take the limit of the function's difference quotient as it approaches the given point. If the limit exists, then the function is differentiable at that point.

3. What is the difference between a differentiable function and a continuous function?

A continuous function is one that has no breaks or gaps in its graph, and can be drawn without lifting your pen. A differentiable function is a type of continuous function that also has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at a point if it is not continuous at that point. This is because the existence of a derivative requires the function to be continuous in the first place.

5. What is the importance of bounding when discussing differentiability of a function?

Bounding is important when discussing differentiability because a function must be bounded in order for its derivative to exist at every point. If a function is not bounded, it cannot have a well-defined derivative and is therefore not differentiable.