1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiable Greatest Integer Function

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    k(x)=x2*[1/x] for 0<x≤1
    k(x)=0 for x=0
    Find where k(x) is differentiable and find the derivative
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that it is differentiable for all ℝ\Z on (0,1], but I am unsure how to find the derivative for this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean what R\Z usually means then R\Z on (0,1] is (0,1). I suspect you mean something else. Suppose 1/x is between two integers, say n<1/x<n+1?

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3
    Yes sorry that was a typo, should be (0,1). So would I set k=[1/x], which would make f(x)=x2*k

which would imply that f'(x)=2xk
    Is this what you mean?

5. Dec 8, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. So if 1/x is between two integers then your function is differentiable, yes? Suppose 1/x is equal to an integer? Then what?

6. Dec 8, 2012 #5
    If it's equal to an integer then it would not be differentiable.

7. Dec 8, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not? You have to give reasons.

8. Dec 8, 2012 #7
    Because it's discontinuous at all integers.

9. Dec 8, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True if you mean f(x) is discontinuous when 1/x is an integer. You should probably say that in a more proofy way, like saying what the one sided limits are of f(x) or using a theorem. But I think the main point of the exercise is what happens at x=0, since they bothered to define f(0)=0. f(x) might have a one-sided derivative at x=0. Does it?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook