Differential Equations: Solving for y' and Finding a Solution

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation y' + x = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}. They first try to rewrite it in terms of y and a variable x/y and then realize that v = x^2 + y^2, which allows them to solve for y.
freezer

Homework Statement

[itex]yy' + x = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

y = vx
y' = v'x + v

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]y' + \frac{x}{y} = \frac{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{y}[/itex]

[itex](v'x+v) + v =\frac{ \sqrt{x^2 + (vx)^2}}{vx}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stuck? No idea what to do with vx - vx ? Not noticed the whole thing has a factor x?

epenguin said:
Stuck? No idea what to do with vx - vx ? Not noticed the whole thing has a factor x?

Sorry, i typed the problem wrong the first time.

Are you still stuck? It seems to me this is fairly easily expressed in terms of y and a variable x/y.

epenguin said:
Are you still stuck? It seems to me this is fairly easily expressed in terms of y and a variable x/y.

I am sure it is easy one i figure out what i am trying to accomplish with this substition, I am just not certain where it is i am heading for other than d/dx(y') = and something i can integrate on the right side.

freezer said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]y' + \frac{x}{y} = \frac{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{y}[/itex]

[itex](v'x+v) + v =\frac{ \sqrt{x^2 + (vx)^2}}{vx}[/itex]

[itex]v' = \frac{ \sqrt{x^2 + (vx)^2}}{vx^2} - \frac{v}{x}[/itex]

The way I look at it if you write it like this

[itex]y' = -\frac{x}{y} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{y}[/itex]

you see the RHS is just a function of x/y. So let this be one of your variables and keep y as the other.

epenguin said:
The way I look at it if you write it like this

[itex]y' = -\frac{x}{y} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{y}[/itex]

you see the RHS is just a function of x/y. So let this be one of your variables and keep y as the other.

Okay, I am a bit dense. I hopefully walking through this will get me going.

v = y/x, x/y = 1/v

[itex]v'x + v = -\frac{1}{v} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 + (vx)^2}}{vx}[/itex]

After talking with another student, they found out this uses v = x^2 + y^2

[itex] v' = 2x + 2yy' = 2(x+yy')[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{v}} = \int dx[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{v} = x + c[/itex]

[itex] v = (x+c)^2[/itex]

[itex] x^2 + y^2 = (x+c)^2[/itex]

[itex] y^2 = -x^2 + x^2 + 2xc + C[/itex]

[itex] y = +/- \sqrt{2xc + C} [/itex]

Last edited:
The answer in the book is:

[itex] x - \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = C [/itex]

And that is not what I got :-(

Yes (9) was well spotted, when you see yy' be looking out for (y2)' .

My thinking was that your d.e. can be written

[tex] y' = - \frac{x}{y} +\sqrt{\left(\frac{x}{y}\right)^2 + 1} [/tex]

and the RHS is purely a function of (x/y) which we could call u, which looked simple. But that is overlooking that then you have to change y' into dy/du - in fact the LHS becomes

Edit something complicated and I think there is no or less than no advantage in this approach which seemed initially attractive after all.

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena in physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to mathematically describe and analyze complex systems and phenomena. They are used in many fields of science and engineering to make predictions and solve problems.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model systems with one variable, such as population growth, while partial differential equations are used to model systems with multiple variables, such as heat flow.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on the type of equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. In some cases, a differential equation may not have an exact solution and numerical methods may be used to approximate a solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many real-world applications, such as predicting weather patterns, modeling the spread of diseases, designing electrical circuits, and analyzing financial markets. They are also essential in engineering for designing and optimizing systems, such as bridges and airplanes.