1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation Approach to solving First Order Circuits

1. Jun 4, 2007 #1
    We are doing transient circuit analysis in one of my engineering courses.
    There are two ways of solving these types of circuits:

1. The step by step approach

2. The differential equation approach.

The step by step method is well documented in our textbook, but the differential equation approach is not.

Does anyone know of a website that describes how to use the differential equation approach for solving first order transient circuits?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2
    Dunno the website, but you use Kirchoff's laws (Potential drop across a loop =0) to form a linear DE which you solve.
  4. Jun 19, 2007 #3
    For the differential approach, use KVL and KCL. Write down the device rules (i(t) = C dv(t)/dt), etc... combine them by solving for the appropriate variables.
  5. Jun 19, 2007 #4
    I am curious, is the step by step approach the Laplace transform method, if not, is there any reason you could not use said method. I prefer to use the Laplace transform myself.
  6. Jun 30, 2007 #5
    Err... I dont know the Laplace transform approach, just the DE one. Its pretty simple. You just write out the equations for KVL and KCL, and then write current as dq/dt or emf as L di/dt to get a Linear DE and solve that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?