Differential equation homework question

In summary: Derivatives_of_general_functionsIn summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of P=Po e^-h/c and determining the rate of change of pressure with height when Po=1.013*10^5 pascals C=6.05*10^4 at 1450 meters. The process involves using the chain rule and understanding how to differentiate an exponential function.
yonathan
can u pls help me with this quaestion?
p=Po e^-h/c

Physics news on Phys.org

yonathan said:
can u pls help me with this quaestion?
p=Po e^-h/c
Welcome to PF yonathan,

Please post your question exactly as it is stated in your text/homework sheet together with all relevant information and your initial attempts to solve the problem.

Once you have done this, someone will be more than happy to help.

the pressure P of the atmosphere at height 'h' above ground level is given by P=Po e^-h/c where Po is the pressure at ground level and c is the constant.determine the rate of change of pressure with height when Po=1.013*10^5 pascals C=6.05*10^4 at 1450 meters.
i used the for differentiation to differentiate it and find the first derivative of P=Po e^-h/c and i got P=C*Po e^-h or P=Po*(-h/c) e^-h/c and i substitute ted the numbers the given and my calculator seems not to find the ans for it. so can u help me find the derivitive of P=Po e^-h/c? pls?

yonathan said:
the pressure P of the atmosphere at height 'h' above ground level is given by P=Po e^-h/c where Po is the pressure at ground level and c is the constant.determine the rate of change of pressure with height when Po=1.013*10^5 pascals C=6.05*10^4 at 1450 meters.
i used the for differentiation to differentiate it and find the first derivative of P=Po e^-h/c and i got P=C*Po e^-h or P=Po*(-h/c) e^-h/c and i substitute ted the numbers the given and my calculator seems not to find the ans for it. so can u help me find the derivitive of P=Po e^-h/c? pls?
Notice that the two derivatives that you have found are not equivalent:
yonathan said:
P=C*Po e^-h or P=Po*(-h/c) e^-h/c
So, which one is it?

You should also use correct notation: P' instead of P.

the reason put or (where u quoted it at the end of ur message) was to ask u which of the answers i came up with was the correct one.

You want to find [tex]\frac{dp}{dh}[/tex] where [tex]c[/tex] and [tex]p_0[/tex] are constant. How would you differentiate [tex]\frac{d}{dh}(p_0e^{\frac{-h}{c}})[/tex]?

that was wat i was tyin to find,but i am not sure. i came with the answers i showed u where i added 'or' (the one u put at the end of ur message before this message) and i don't think it is wright, do u think it was right?

what jeffreydk wrote is what i want to figure out exactly, if you can help in that it would be very helpful.

You just need to know how to differentiate e^f(x). What is the derivative of that?

the derivative of e^f(x) is (f)e^f(x) but what if it was e^(F/x) that's what i want to find out??

yonathan said:
the derivative of e^f(x) is (f)e^f(x)
Are you sure about that?
yonathan said:
but what if it was e^(F/x) that's what i want to find out??
Simply let:

[tex]f(h) = \frac{-h}{c}[/tex]

Then you have:

[tex]P = P_0e^{f(h)}[/tex]

As above.

so the first derivative of Po e^-h/c is dp/dh=Poe^f(h), where f(h)is -h/c, and after this, all i have to do is substitute the numbers given, yeh? and i am sure about the derivative u asked me.

yonathan said:
so the first derivative of Po e^-h/c is dp/dh=Poe^f(h), where f(h)is -h/c, and after this, all i have to do is substitute the numbers given, yeh? and i am sure about the derivative u asked me.
No it isn't, you need to recheck you derivative. Use the chain rule.

what is 'f' in ur chain rule cause according to it the derivative is f(h)is -h/c??

yonathan said:
what is 'f' in ur chain rule cause according to it the derivative is f(h)is -h/c??
Note that in this case, h is a variable and not constant. The chain rule states that for a composite function [itex]y\left(f(x)\right)[/itex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{df}\frac{df}{dx}[/tex]

So in your case we have:

[tex]P = P_0e^{f(h)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dh}P = P_0\frac{df}{dh}e^{f(h)}[/tex]

Do you follow?

sorry i still don't follow, can u explain it to me in another way or something? i don't know wat to do with the last answer u gave me. do i substitute my numbers on ur answer and wat is e^f(h), how am i suppose to solve it?

yonathan said:
sorry i still don't follow, can u explain it to me in another way or something? i don't know wat to do with the last answer u gave me. do i substitute my numbers on ur answer and wat is e^f(h), how am i suppose to solve it?
Okay, let's take this a term at a time. What is:

[tex]\frac{d}{dh}P[/tex]

What does it represent?

it represents the differentiation of P which is P.

yonathan said:
it represents the differentiation of P which is P.
It represents the derivative of P with respect to h, which is not P.

so what is d/dh of e^-h/c

Question 1: What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the quantity being studied.

Question 2: What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find a function that satisfies the equation and represents the behavior of the quantity being studied. This allows us to predict future values and understand the underlying processes that govern the system.

Question 3: What are the different types of differential equations?

The main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations, which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations, which involve multiple independent variables. Additional classifications include linear vs. nonlinear, and first-order vs. higher-order differential equations.

Question 4: What methods can be used to solve differential equations?

There are many methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, Euler's method, and numerical methods such as Runge-Kutta and finite difference methods. The appropriate method depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

Question 5: How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology, to model and understand natural phenomena. They are particularly useful for predicting how systems will change over time, such as in population dynamics, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.