What is the Solution to a Simple Differential Equation with Constant Parameters?

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a problem involving w as a function of x. The problem involves solving for w using the equation 0 = g + \upsilon (d2w / dx2). The solution is w = (g/\upsilon)(bx - x2/2), and the conversation ends with a reminder to include constants of integration and a note that the solution may not be the most general one.
Wildcat04

Homework Statement

I need to integrate this problem, I am not sure what it is but I am having trouble doing this simple problem and coming up with the right answer. Its been awhile since I had diff eq..

Solve for w as a function of x

0 = g + [tex]\upsilon[/tex] (d2w / dx2)

g, [tex]\upsilon[/tex] = constant

Homework Equations

Problem Solution:

w = (g/[tex]\upsilon[/tex])(bx - x2/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that I need to move stuff to each side and complete the double integrals and solve for w

something along these lines:

-g dx2 = [tex]\nu[/tex] d2w

I would love it if someone could give me a nudge.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really easy. You've got w''(x)=(-g/v). Just integrate both sides with respect to x twice. Don't forget the constants of integration. You should then realize the problem solution isn't the most general one.

Thank you Dick, I knew that I was making this stupid problem much harder then it should be put I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

Related to What is the Solution to a Simple Differential Equation with Constant Parameters?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves variables that change continuously over time and expresses how the rate of change of one variable is related to the other variables.

2. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are used to model and understand phenomena in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and many other disciplines. Some common applications include modeling population growth, predicting the motion of objects, and analyzing electrical circuits.

3. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Other types include linear and nonlinear differential equations, as well as first-order and higher-order differential equations.

4. What are initial and boundary conditions in a differential equation?

Initial conditions are values that are known or given at the starting point of a differential equation, while boundary conditions are values that are known or given at the boundaries of a system. These conditions are necessary to solve a differential equation and determine the specific solution that satisfies the equation.

5. What methods are used to solve differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including analytical and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve finding an exact solution using algebraic operations, while numerical methods involve using algorithms to approximate the solution. Some common numerical methods include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods.