Differential Equation NonHomogeneous EQ

In summary, to find the particular solution of the given differential equation, you need to use a double angle identity to rewrite the right side as sin2(x) = 1/2 - (1/2)cos(2x). Then, substitute y and y" into the DE and solve for the coefficients A, B, and C. This should give you the same answer as in the book: yp(x)= (1/8)(1-xsin2x).
JJBrian

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution of the given differential equation.
y'' + 4y = (sin^2)(x)

Answer from book: yp(x)= (1/8)(1-xsin2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

y'' + 4y = 4(sinx)^2....(1)

4(sinx)^2=2 - 2cos2x

Homogeneous solution:
r^2+4=0
r^2= -4
r=+-2i ==>
yh=C1cos(2x)+C2sin(2x)

Particular solution:
yp=A+Bxcos2x+Cxsin2x
yp' =Bcos2x-2Bxsin2x+Csin2x+2Cxcos2x

yp" = -2Bsin2x -2Bsin2x-4Bxcos2x
+2Ccos2x+2Ccos2x - 4Cxsin2x

Substitute y and y" in (1) ==>
4A - 4Bsin2x+4Ccos2x=2 - 2cos2x ==>

A=1/2
B=0
C= -1/2

yp=1/2 - (1/2)xsin2x

This is answer is different from the book. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
JJBrian said:

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution of the given differential equation.
y'' + 4y = (sin^2)(x)

Answer from book: yp(x)= (1/8)(1-xsin2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

y'' + 4y = 4(sinx)^2....(1)
How did the right side go from sin2(x) to 4sin2(x)?

What you need to do is rewrite the right side using a double angle identity, sin2(x) = 1/2 - (1/2)cos(2x).
Your work below suggests that you have done this, but I don't see that you mention it anywhere.
JJBrian said:
4(sinx)^2=2 - 2cos2x

Homogeneous solution:
r^2+4=0
r^2= -4
r=+-2i ==>
yh=C1cos(2x)+C2sin(2x)
This is fine.
JJBrian said:
Particular solution:
yp=A+Bxcos2x+Cxsin2x
This (above) is what you need.
JJBrian said:
yp' =Bcos2x-2Bxsin2x+Csin2x+2Cxcos2x

yp" = -2Bsin2x -2Bsin2x-4Bxcos2x
+2Ccos2x+2Ccos2x - 4Cxsin2x

Substitute y and y" in (1) ==>
4A - 4Bsin2x+4Ccos2x=2 - 2cos2x ==>

A=1/2
B=0
C= -1/2

yp=1/2 - (1/2)xsin2x

This is answer is different from the book. What am I doing wrong?
The only mistake I see is that you changed the right side of the DE from sin2(x) to 4sin2(x). That could be causing problems for you in solving for the coefficients A, B, and C.

FAQ: Differential Equation NonHomogeneous EQ

What is a differential equation nonhomogeneous equation?

A differential equation nonhomogeneous equation is a type of differential equation where the right-hand side of the equation is a function that is not equal to zero. This is in contrast to a homogeneous equation, where the right-hand side is equal to zero. Nonhomogeneous equations are more complex and require different methods to solve compared to homogeneous equations.

What are the different types of nonhomogeneous equations?

There are several types of nonhomogeneous equations, including linear nonhomogeneous equations, non-linear nonhomogeneous equations, and partial differential equations. Each type requires its own approach and techniques to solve.

How do you solve a differential equation nonhomogeneous equation?

The most common method for solving a differential equation nonhomogeneous equation is by using the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves finding a particular solution by assuming it has a similar form to the nonhomogeneous term and then using substitution and solving for the coefficients. Another method is using the method of variation of parameters, which involves finding a general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation and then using a variation of the parameters to find a particular solution.

What are the applications of differential equation nonhomogeneous equations?

Differential equation nonhomogeneous equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to model real-world phenomena such as population growth, heat transfer, and electric circuits.

What are the challenges of solving a differential equation nonhomogeneous equation?

Solving a nonhomogeneous equation can be more challenging compared to solving a homogeneous equation because it requires additional techniques and methods. Additionally, the nonhomogeneous term may be complex and difficult to find a particular solution for, making the overall solution more complicated. It is also important to carefully choose the appropriate method for solving a nonhomogeneous equation, as different types of nonhomogeneous equations require different approaches.

Back