Differential Equation Problem Help

In summary, the rumor about phenylethylamine in the drinking water spread quickly in a city with a population of 100,000. Assuming the rate of increase of those who have heard the rumor is proportional to those who have not, it would take approximately 46 days for half the population to hear the rumor. This was found by solving a separable differential equation and using initial conditions to determine the necessary constants.
bigallah

Homework Statement

A certain piece of dubious information about phenylethylamine in the drinking water began to spread one day in a city with a population of 100,000. Within a week, 10,000 people had heard this rumor. Assume that the rate of increase of the number who have heard the rumor is proportional to the number who have not heard it. How long will it be until half the population of the city has heard the rumor?

Homework Equations

(Possibly): Natural Growth equation: dx/dt = kx (where k is a constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue how to do this.

I've tried setting it up where dx/dt = k(100000 - x) and integrating, but I'm always left with two unknown constants.

Physics news on Phys.org
lmao sorry for wasting everyone's time, but I just worked out the answer myself. I'll explain it for those who are interested and then the thread can be locked or whatever.

Solution:
let x stand for the amount of the population that HAS heard the rumor
it follows that 100000-x is then the number that HASN'T heard the rumor
let dx/dt be the derivative of x with respect to time (in days)

dx/dt = k(100000-x)
where k is a constant

Solving the separable differential equation leads to:

x = 100000 - C*exp^(kt)
where C is a constant

Plug in the initial conditions:
x(7) = 10000 = 100000 - C*exp^(k*7)
which goes to:
90000 = C*exp^(7k)

I was screwing up before because I failed to assume another initial condition:
Assume x(0) = 0:
x(0) = 0 = 100000 - C*exp^(k*0)
which leads to:
C=100000

Plugging C into: 90000 = C*exp^(7k) and solving for k gives:
k=-.051

Then when you know all the constants, just solve for t in the eqn:

50000 = 100000 - C*exp^(kt)

t is about 46 days

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a dependent variable to the values of one or more independent variables. It is used to describe natural phenomena and is an important tool in many scientific fields.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to mathematically model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. It is important to have a strong background in calculus and algebra to effectively solve differential equations.

4. Can differential equations be used in real-world applications?

Yes, differential equations have a wide range of real-world applications. They are used to model physical systems such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the spread of diseases. They are also used in economics to model population growth and in engineering to design and analyze complex systems.

5. Are there any software programs that can solve differential equations?

Yes, there are several software programs that can solve differential equations, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. These programs use numerical methods to approximate solutions to differential equations. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of differential equations in order to effectively use these programs.