Differential equation using partial fractions

In summary, to integrate the given differential equation using partial fractions, the equation should be rewritten as dP/P(b+aP)= dt and then integrated with respect to P on the left side and t on the right side. To integrate the right side, partial fractions should be used to decompose the fraction into A/P + B/(b+aP), which can then be solved for A and B by multiplying both sides by P(b+aP) and using the values of P=0 and P=-b/a.
Shelby

Homework Statement

I need to integrate this differential equation using partial fractions to obtain an equation for P in terms of t; P(t):

1/P dP/dt = b + aP

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, this is what I have:
ln /P/ = bP + aP^2/2 +c

Where do I go from here, would I take e from each side and then what would I do? and am I doing this right?
Please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply both sides by P?

christianjb said:
Multiply both sides by P?

No sense in doing that, since he still needs to bring the P-terms over to the left hand side.

Bring the P-terms from the RHS to the LHS, then separate variables :

[tex]\frac{1}{P(aP+b)}dP = dt[/tex]

Separate the left hand side using partial fractions (write it as [tex]\frac{k_1}{P} + \frac{k_2}{aP+b}[/tex], then find the values of k1 and k2 quickly with the "Heaviside cover-up" shortcut, for example) and integrate both sides to solve.

Shelby said:

Homework Statement

I need to integrate this differential equation using partial fractions to obtain an equation for P in terms of t; P(t):

1/P dP/dt = b + aP

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, this is what I have:
ln /P/ = bP + aP^2/2 +c
No. You can't just integrate both sides with respect to P: there is not "dP" on the right side. You can rewrite the equation as
[tex]\frac{dP}{P(b+aP)}= dt[/tex]
and integrate- the left side with respect to P, the right side with respect to t.

As Curious3141 said, you "partial fractions" to integrate the right side.

Where do I go from here, would I take e from each side and then what would I do? and am I doing this right?
Please help me

partial fractions

can you point me in the right direction, with all of these variables I keep getting confused?

What more "pointing" do you want! Use partial fractions to integrate
[tex]\frac{dP}{P(b+ aP}[/tex]

Can you do the "partial fractions" decomposition? You want to find A and B so that
[tex]\frac{1}{P(b+aP)}= \frac{A}{P}+ \frac{B}{b+ aP}[/tex]
Multiply both sides of that by P(b+aP) to get
[tex]1= A(b+aP)+ BP[/tex]
and solve for A and B. (Hint: let P= 0 and P= -b/a)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions and their derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change. Differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model real-world phenomena.

2. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to simplify and solve integrals that involve rational functions. They involve breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions, which can then be integrated separately. This method is particularly useful when dealing with integrals that involve polynomials of different degrees.

3. How do you solve a differential equation using partial fractions?

To solve a differential equation using partial fractions, you first need to express the differential equation as a rational function. Then, you use algebraic techniques to break down the rational function into simpler fractions. Finally, you integrate each fraction separately to obtain the solution to the original differential equation.

4. What are some applications of differential equations using partial fractions?

Differential equations using partial fractions have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model and solve problems related to population growth, heat transfer, fluid flow, electrical circuits, and many other complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fractions in solving differential equations?

Partial fractions are a powerful method for solving certain types of differential equations, but they may not work for all types of differential equations. In some cases, the rational function may not be able to be broken down into simpler fractions, making this method ineffective. Additionally, partial fractions may not be the most efficient method for solving certain differential equations and other techniques may be more suitable.