What is the particular solution for the given initial value problem?

In summary, the given initial value problem can be solved by finding the homogeneous solution and using it to guess the particular solution. The particular solution can then be found by multiplying the e^t solution by the next power of t, t^2.
Punchlinegirl
Find the solution of the given inital value problem.
y"-2y'+y=te^t+4 y(0)=1 y'(0)=1

r^2-2r+1=0
(r-1)^2
so r= -1
my homogenous solution is y_h(t)=c_1e^-t+c_2te^-t

I have no idea where to begin for the particular solution. I know a need a guess, and I would think it would be Ate^t, but I really don't know.
Can someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is r=-1?
Why?

Oh sorry, I meant r= 1
then my homogenous solution would be c_1e^t +c_2te^t

For a right hand side of the form
te^t+4
You should immediately think y= (At+ B)e^t+ C since when you have t^n, you might need lower powers of t.

Then, noticing that e^t and te^t are already solutions to the homogeneous equation, think of multiplying the e^t solution by the next power of t, t^2. That is, try y= (At^3+ Bt^2)e^t + C.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

The two main types of differential equations are ordinary and partial. Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables.

3. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an explicit formula for the solution, while numerical solutions use algorithms to approximate the solution.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering to model and understand complex systems. They are commonly used in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering.

5. What are initial and boundary conditions in differential equations?

Initial conditions specify the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a single point in the domain. Boundary conditions specify the behavior of the solution at the boundaries of the domain. Both are necessary to uniquely determine a solution to a differential equation.