Solving a Differential Equation: r(y) = 8-7.7*e^(y-1)

In summary, we are given the differential equation (dr/dy)+r=8 with the initial condition r(1)=0.3. The solution to this equation is r(y)=8-7.7*e^(y-1). However, there is some confusion about the equivalent form of this solution, as webassign says r(y)= 8-7.7*e^(1-y). After checking the integral of dr/(8-r), it is determined that the correct solution is r(y)=8-7.7*e^(y-1). The confusion may have arisen from changing the absolute value of |8-r| to r-8, but this is incorrect and the correct form is |8-r|.
nick.martinez

Homework Statement

differential equation
(dr/dy)+r=8 ; r(1)=0.3

The Attempt at a Solution

(dr/dy)=(8-r)

∫[dr/(8-r)]=∫dy

ln|8-r|+c1=y+c2 ; k=c2-c1

ln|8-r|=y+k ; r(1)=0.3
then take of e^ both sides which gives
8-r=e^(y+k)
8-e^(y+k)=r and we know r(1)=0.3 which means 0.3=8-e^(1+k); then solve for k
k=ln|7.7|-1 then when plug this into r(y)= 8-e^(y+k) for some reason webassign says
r(y)= 8-7.7*e^(1-y)

but i get r(y)=8-7.7*e^(y-1) are they equivalent

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what am i doing wrong?

nick.martinez said:
1. Homework Statement
differential equation
(dr/dy)+r=8 ; r(1)=0.3
3. The Attempt at a Solution
(dr/dy)=(8-r)

∫[dr/(8-r)]=∫dy

ln|8-r|+c1=y+c2 ; k=c2-c1

ln|8-r|=y+k ; r(1)=0.3
then take of e^ both sides which gives
8-r=e^(y+k)
8-e^(y+k)=r and we know r(1)=0.3 which means 0.3=8-e^(1+k); then solve for k
k=ln|7.7|-1 then when plug this into r(y)= 8-e^(y+k) for some reason webassign says
r(y)= 8-7.7*e^(1-y)

but i get r(y)=8-7.7*e^(y-1) are they equivalent
nick.martinez said:
what am i doing wrong?

You have done almost right but check the integral of dr/(8-r).

Pranav-Arora said:
You have done almost right but check the integral of dr/(8-r).

i think when i was taking the intgral of dr/(8-r) i was forgetting the absolute value sign for the natural log which is -ln|8-r|+c1=y+c2 ;c2-c1=k

then giving me: -ln|8-r|=y+k then becomes ln|8-r|=-y-k ; then take e^ of both sides giving me

e^(ln|8-r|)=e^(-y-k)

r-8=e^(-y-k) this then becomes

r=e^(-y-k)+1 we know r(1)=0.3

0.3=e^(-1-k)+8
-7.7=e^(-1-k)
im stuck here because now i can't take the log of both sides becuase of the negative symbol on left hand side.

Last edited:
nick.martinez said:
i think when i was taking the intgral of dr/(8-r) i was forgetting the absolute value sign for the natural log which is ln|1-r|+c1=y+c2 ;c2-c1=k

then giving me: -ln|1-r|=y+k then becomes ln|1-r|=-y-k ; then take e^ of both sides giving me

e^(ln|1-r|)=e^(-y-k)

r-1=e^(-y-k) this then becomes

r=e^(-y-k)+1 we know r(1)=0.3

0.3=e^(-1-k)+1
-0.7=e^(-1-k)+1
im stuck here because now i can't take the log of both sides becuase of the negative symbol on left hand side.

What's the integral of dr/(8+ax) ?

Pranav-Arora said:
What's the integral of dr/(8+ax) ?

i did a quick edit check it out i made the -8 in the ln|8-R| into ones now its right but I am still stuck

nick.martinez said:
i did a quick edit check it out i made the -8 in the ln|8-R| into ones now its right but I am still stuck

im stuck at -7.7=e^(-1-k)

You solved the differential equation correctly.

nick said:
e^(ln|8-r|)=e^(-y-k)

r-8=e^(-y-k)

Why did you change |8-r| to r-8? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
You solved the differential equation correctly.

Why did you change |8-r| to r-8? :confused:

becuase when you take the the e of the absolute value of e^(ln|8-x|) i get |x-8|. don't the absolute values do this?

nick.martinez said:
becuase when you take the the e of the absolute value of e^(ln|8-x|) i get |x-8|. don't the absolute values do this?

No, I don't think it changes to |x-8|. Instead of this, you can simply put y=1 and r=0.3 in the equation:
[tex]-ln|8-x|=y+k[/tex]
Find out k from here.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It describes how the rate of change of the function is related to the function itself.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

There are three main types of differential equations: ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Stochastic differential equations involve random variables and are used in modeling systems with uncertain inputs.

3. What is the application of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They are particularly useful in physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. In general, there are analytical methods, such as separation of variables and integration, and numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. The appropriate method will depend on the specific equation and initial conditions.

5. What is the difference between a differential equation and an integral equation?

A differential equation relates a function to its derivatives, while an integral equation relates a function to its integral. In other words, a differential equation describes the rate of change of a function, while an integral equation describes the accumulation of the function over a certain interval.