Differential Equations - am I doing this right

In summary, the problem asks for the function y(x) given that dy/dx = 3y/x and y = y_0 at x = x_0. The solution involves separating variables, integrating, and using the given boundary conditions to solve for the constant C. The final equation is y = y_0(x/x_0)^3 which can be verified by finding dy/dx from this equation and seeing that it matches the initial equation.
protonchain

Homework Statement

What is [tex] y(x) [/tex] [[tex] y [/tex] as a function of [tex] x [/tex]] given that

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = 3\frac{y}{x} [/tex]

where you are given the boundary condition that [tex] y = y_0 [/tex] at [tex] x = x_0 [/tex] where [tex] y_0 [/tex] and [tex] x_0 [/tex] are constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

Separating variables [tex] \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{y} = \frac{3 dx}{x} [/tex]

Integrating [tex] \Rightarrow \int{\frac{dy}{y}} = \int{\frac{3 dx}{x}[/tex]

Integrals give [tex] \Rightarrow ln(y) = 3 ln(x) + C [/tex]

Given the boundary conditions then [tex] \Rightarrow ln(y_0) = 3 ln(x_0) + C [/tex]

Therefore [tex] \Rightarrow C = ln(y_0) - 3ln(x_0) = ln(\frac{y_0}{x_0^3}) [/tex]

Plugging back into [tex] ln(y) = 3 ln(x) + C [/tex] gives
[tex] ln(y) = 3 ln(x) + ln(\frac{y_0}{x_0^3}) [/tex]

Therefore [tex] \Rightarrow y = exp\left(ln(x^3) + ln(\frac{y_0}{x_0^3})\right) [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow y = exp\left(ln(x^3 \bullet \frac{y_0}{x_0^3})\right) \Rightarrow y = y_0(\frac{x}{x_0})^3[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

One way you can check your work is to find dy/dx from your final equation, and verify that you get your initial equation...

That's the part where I got worried about whether I did it right or not.

I think I was getting stucking trying to prove that it was correct, and I just did it.

Thank you for the assurance and the help! :) Really appreciate it

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many physical and natural phenomena, such as growth, decay, and motion.

2. How do I know if I am solving a differential equation correctly?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using differential operators. The best way to ensure you are solving it correctly is to check your solution against the original equation and see if it satisfies the conditions given.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve differential equations?

While some calculators may have built-in functions for solving simple differential equations, it is generally recommended to solve them by hand using appropriate methods. This will help you better understand the problem and its solution.

4. What is the significance of initial conditions in differential equations?

Initial conditions are the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in time or space. They are crucial in solving differential equations accurately and finding the particular solution that satisfies the given conditions.

5. Are differential equations only used in mathematics?

No, differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and more. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena in these disciplines.