Differential equations equilibrium points

In summary, the conversation discusses finding equilibrium points and describing the behavior of the associated linearized system. It also mentions finding the phase portrait for the nonlinear system and questioning the accuracy of the linearized system near equilibrium points. The advice given is to use the book "Differential Equations" by Blanchard, Devaney and Hall, which covers linearization, Jacobian matrix, eigenvalues, and phase portraits. The use of Mathematica version 7 is also suggested for faster drawing of phase portraits. It is noted that linearization may not work for some systems.
sana2476

Homework Statement

x'=x(x^2+y^2)
y'=y(x^2+y^2)

i) Find all the equilibrium points and describe the behavior of the associated linearized system
ii) Describe the phase portrait for the nonlinear system
iii) Does the linearized system accurately describe the local behavior near the equilibrium points?

Homework Equations

Solving for equilibrium, you get: x=0 and x^2+y^2=0. Likewise with second function, you get: y=0 and x^2+y^2=0. But I don't know what the phase portrait will behave.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that getting the Jacobian matrix and evaluating it at (0,0). You get your eigenvalues as 0 as well.

I really need help...can someone try and help me with this please!

sana2476 said:
I really need help...can someone try and help me with this please!

Hello sana. I can't help you directly here as I have limited access to the web. But I can give you really good advice in the interim: The book "Differential Equations" by Blanchard, Devaney and Hall does a really good job of working with these problems: First linearize it by calculating the partials and form the Jacobian matrix, find the eigenvalues and determine the types of fixed points based on the kinds of eigenvalues. Draw the phase portrait. Mathematica ver 7 has an excellent function for drawing in an instant what use to take hours: It's called "StreamPlot" (I think, or something like this) and draws the entire phase portrait in a single operation.

Note linearization fails for some systems. Find out which types of systems these are.

FAQ: Differential equations equilibrium points

1. What are equilibrium points in differential equations?

Equilibrium points, also known as steady states, are values of the independent variables in a differential equation where the dependent variable does not change over time. In other words, the rate of change is equal to zero at these points.

2. How are equilibrium points found in a differential equation?

Equilibrium points can be found by setting the derivative of the dependent variable equal to zero and solving for the independent variable. This will give the values of the independent variable at which the dependent variable remains constant.

3. Can a differential equation have multiple equilibrium points?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple equilibrium points. These points can be stable, meaning the system will return to them after being disturbed, or unstable, meaning the system will move away from them after being disturbed.

4. What is the significance of equilibrium points in real-life systems?

Equilibrium points are important in understanding the behavior of real-life systems. They represent the state of the system where there is no change, and can help predict how the system will respond to different inputs or disturbances.

5. How are equilibrium points related to stability in differential equations?

The stability of an equilibrium point in a differential equation is determined by the behavior of the system around that point. A stable equilibrium point will have all solutions approaching it over time, while an unstable equilibrium point will have solutions moving away from it.

Back