Differential Forms.... Another question.... Browder, Sec 13.1

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding Section 13.1 of Andrew Browder's book "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction". The main topic is differentiating between the manifold M and the tangent bundle TM, which is causing confusion in understanding the nature of the functions and variables involved. The distinction between the two is clarified and the correct expression is provided for the function in question. The conversation ends with Peter expressing his gratitude for the help and stating that he will reflect on the new information.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am reading Chapter 13: Differential Forms ... ... and am currently focused on Section 13.1 Tensor Fields ...

I need some help in order to fully understand some statements by Browder in Section 13.1 ... ...

Section 13.1 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=b63a36a349d9b9bbedf37aea4772fe69.png

In the above text we read the following:

" ... ... We observe also that ##\text{dx}_P^j (h^1, \cdot \cdot \cdot , h^n) = h^j## ... ... "My question is what is the nature of the ##h^i## ... given that ##\text{dx}_P^j## is a constant mapping from an open subset ##U## of ##\mathbb{R}^n## it seems that the ##h^i## are real numbers ...

... BUT ... then it seems strange that ##\text{dx}_p^j (h^1, \cdot \cdot \cdot , h^n) = h^j## ... that is ... how can the function evaluate to a real number when it is a constant mapping into ##\mathbb{R}^{ n \ast }## ... it should evaluate to a linear functional, surely ...

... indeed ... should Browder have written ...

##\text{dx}_P^j (h^1, \cdot \cdot \cdot , h^n) = \tilde{e}^j##
Can someone please clarify the above ...

Peter

Attachments

• Browder - Defn of a differential form .png
    Browder - Defn of a differential form .png
    59.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Browder - 2 - Start of Section 13.1 ... ... PART 2  ... .png
    Browder - 2 - Start of Section 13.1 ... ... PART 2 ... .png
    60.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Browder - 2 - Start of Section 13.1 ... ... PART 2  ... .png
    Browder - 2 - Start of Section 13.1 ... ... PART 2 ... .png
    60.3 KB · Views: 299
  • ?temp_hash=b63a36a349d9b9bbedf37aea4772fe69.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 395
  • ?temp_hash=b63a36a349d9b9bbedf37aea4772fe69.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it really helps to distinguish between the manifold, often denoted by M, and the tangent bundle, usually denoted by TM, which is the union of all tangent spaces to points on the manifold. TM consists of vectors, whereas M consists of points that may or may not be vectors. Unfortunately, that distinction is obscured here by the author specifying that U, which is a part of the manifold, is a subset of ##\mathbb R^n##, which is a vector space as well as a manifold. Is it an old text? Newer texts tend to avoid assuming the manifold is embedded in ##\mathbb R^n##, partly to give greater generality, but also to avoid this sort of confusion.
Math Amateur said:
My question is what is the nature of the ##h^i## ... given that ##\text{dx}_P^j## is a constant mapping from an open subset ##U## of ##\mathbb{R}^n## it seems that the ##h^i## are real numbers ...
Not quite. If you look carefully, you will see that it is ##dx^j## that is a map whose domain is ##U##. That domain is part of the manifold. The function ##dx^i_{\mathbf p}## has a domain that is the tangent space ##T_{\mathbf p}M##, which is a vector space. That domain has no intersection with ##U##. That's why the argument to the function ##x^j## is given as a ##n##-tuple of numbers with lower subscripts ##(a_1,...,a_n)##, being coordinates of a manifold point, and the same applies to the argument to the function ##dx^j##. But the argument to the function ##dx^j_{\mathbf p}## has components with superscripts - ##(h^1,...,h^n)## - because they are components of a vector in the tangent space at ##\mathbf p##.
it seems strange that ##\text{dx}_p^j (h^1, \cdot \cdot \cdot , h^n) = h^j## ... that is ... how can the function evaluate to a real number when it is a constant mapping into ##\mathbb{R}^{ n \ast }## ... it should evaluate to a linear functional, surely ...

... indeed ... should Browder have written ...

##\text{dx}_P^j (h^1, \cdot \cdot \cdot , h^n) = \tilde{e}^j##
The correct expression is

##\text{dx}_P^j= \tilde{e}^j##, which is a linear functional, aka a 'one-form'.

Then when we apply it to the vector ##\vec h##, which the author writes in component form as ##(h^1,...,h^n)##, we get a real number.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ...

Really appreciate your help ...

Still reflecting on what you have written ...

Your distinction between M and TM was most illuminating...

Thanks again...

Peter

NOTE: Browder's text was published in 1996

1. What are differential forms?

Differential forms are mathematical objects used in multivariable calculus and differential geometry to describe geometric properties of a space. They are used to represent quantities such as length, area, and volume in a coordinate-independent manner.

2. How are differential forms different from other mathematical objects?

Differential forms are different from other mathematical objects, such as vectors and tensors, because they are defined in terms of the exterior algebra. This allows them to be manipulated and transformed in a coordinate-independent manner, making them useful for studying geometric properties of a space.

3. What is the purpose of using differential forms?

The use of differential forms allows for a more elegant and concise way of expressing geometric concepts and equations in multivariable calculus and differential geometry. They also have practical applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of fields and fluxes.

4. How do differential forms relate to vector calculus?

Differential forms are closely related to vector calculus, as they can be used to generalize concepts such as gradient, curl, and divergence. In fact, many of the familiar equations from vector calculus, such as Stokes' theorem and the divergence theorem, can be expressed more simply and elegantly using differential forms.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential forms?

Differential forms have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to study electromagnetic fields, fluid flow, and other physical phenomena. They are also used in computer graphics and computer-aided design to model and manipulate geometric shapes and surfaces.