1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometery: 3-forms on a surface

1. Jun 6, 2008 #1
    3-forms on a surface. They are equal to 0. i know this. What i dont know is how to prove it.

This is not a homework question, but my final is tomorrow, and this is a fair question he might ask.

All i can think of is the following

Let dx and dy be one forms

dx^dy would be two form

if we take the differential of that it would be a 3 form, so we get the following

d(dx^dy) = d(dx)^dy + dx^d(dy) by leibniz rule, which is 0 +0.

I know this proof is not good enough cause it is only a special case, and doesnt even take into account that we are on a surface.

So could somebody please help me outline a proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A 3-form is a totally antisymmetric linear form on vectors. E.g. f(x,y,z)=-f(y,x,z) and etc for all transpositions of the vectors x,y,z. If x,y,z are from a two dimensional space then at most two of them are linearly independent. Why does this mean f must be 0?

4. Jun 6, 2008 #3
    Well if at most 2 of them are linearly independent, then this implies that in 2d space

x=u
    y=v
    z= av + bu

Thus f(u,v, av+bu) = f(u,v,av) + f(u,v,bu) ...

actually thats probably not right, and im stuck.

5. Jun 6, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What would f(u,v,v) and f(u,v,u) be if f is totally antisymmetric? Remember f is linear, you can pull the constants out.

6. Jun 6, 2008 #5
    If it is anti-symetric then

f(u,v,v)= - f(u,v,v) (i switched the v's there)

Thus f must be 0

That good enough?

7. Jun 6, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, f(u,v,v) is always zero if it's antisymmetric (symmetric has 2 m's in it). f doesn't need to be zero on any combination of vectors if the underlying space has more than two dimensions. Look at it this way. f is determined by the values of f(ei,ej,ek) where ei,ej,ek are basis vectors. If the vector space is two dimensional, it only has two basis vectors. Do you see why that means a 3-form on a surface vanishes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?