1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry Question

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    Problem1.3. Describe the one-sheeted hyperboloid as a surface of revolution;
    that is, find a positive function [itex]f : R \rightarrow R [/itex] such that
    [itex]x(u, v)= \left[ \begin {array}{c} f \left( u \right) {\it cos}\nu
    \\\noalign{\medskip}f \left( u \right) {\it sin}\nu
    \\\noalign{\medskip}\nu\end {array} \right] [/itex] parameterises the hyperboloid.

So far all I have is the equaiton of the hyperboloid is [itex]x^2+y^2-z^2=1[/itex] and no clue how to proceed. Help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about putting your u,v expressions for x, y and z into the xy form and trying to solve for f(u)?

4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    i'm not too sure what you mean, in particular by the "xy form" you talk about???

could [itex]f(u)=x^2+y^2-z^2-1[/itex]. if so then what is [itex]\nu[/itex]

or am i waffling?

5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Waffling. x=f(u)*cos(v), y=f(u)*sin(v) etc. Put them into x^2+y^2-z^2=1.

6. Jan 28, 2009 #5
    ok ill give that a bash. it's pretty of confusing of them to call that matrix x, no?

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably should have called it X with a vector on it.

8. Jan 28, 2009 #7
    ok. working that through i get [itex]f(u)=\sqrt{1+u^2}[/itex]. is that the end of the question? it seems awfully short and yet i appear to have found an f as required.

also, how did you know to procede this way?

9. Jan 28, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. I knew because X(u,v) and x^2+y^2-z^2=1 are supposed to describe the same surface. X(u,v) had better satisfy the second equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?