Differential Yield Stress and Von Mises Criterion

In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking, but from what I understand, in summary, if you have a material's differential yield stress σd=(σ1-σ3), you can derive the axial yield stress by dividing it by √3 for the von Mises criterion. This would give you k=0.5×(σ1-σ3). For the Tresca criterion, k would equal σd/2. The reason differential stress is used is because it is easier for people to understand and relate to.
1350-F
If I have the differential yield stress σd=(σ13) for a material, what can I derive from that for use with the von mises criterion? Do I have k=0.5×(σ13) or σy in axial tension, where σ3 = 0? Essentially is my axial yield stress = σd or √3 × σd /2? (in plane stress)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chestermiller said:

Reading this confirmed my suspicions that the axial yield would equal the differential yield and from there you would divide by √3 to get k. For tresca k would equal σd/2. In that case why report it as a differential stress? I think that's what was throwing me off. Assuming we would know to add the axial yield to any hydrostatic stress to get our maximum principal stress why give σd?

1350-F said:
Reading this confirmed my suspicions that the axial yield would equal the differential yield and from there you would divide by √3 to get k. For tresca k would equal σd/2. In that case why report it as a differential stress? I think that's what was throwing me off. Assuming we would know to add the axial yield to any hydrostatic stress to get our maximum principal stress why give σd?
The reason differential stress is used is that people out-of-the-know can relate to it easily.

Chet

Differential yield stress (σd) is a measure of the difference between the maximum and minimum principal stresses in a material. It can be used to determine the material's ability to withstand different types of stress, such as tension and compression.

The von Mises criterion is a mathematical model that predicts the failure of materials under complex stress conditions. It takes into account the magnitudes of all three principal stresses, rather than just the maximum and minimum, to determine the likelihood of failure.

To use the von Mises criterion, the value of σd can be substituted for the difference between the maximum and minimum principal stresses (σ1-σ3). This results in a value of √3×σd/2, which can then be compared to the material's yield stress (σy) to determine its safety factor.

In axial tension, where σ3 = 0, the von Mises criterion simplifies to k=0.5×(σ1-σ3), which is equivalent to σd. Therefore, in this case, the axial yield stress would be equal to σd.

In plane stress, the von Mises criterion can be expressed as k=√(3/2)×(σ1-σ3), which is equivalent to √3×σd/2. So in this case, the axial yield stress would be equal to √3×σd/2.

In summary, the differential yield stress (σd) can be used in the von Mises criterion to determine the material's safety factor and predict its failure under complex stress conditions. The specific equations used will depend on the type of stress being analyzed (axial tension or plane stress).

What is differential yield stress?

Differential yield stress is a measure of the material's resistance to deformation under different types of stresses. It refers to the difference between the yield stresses for tension and compression in a material.

How is the differential yield stress calculated?

The differential yield stress can be calculated by subtracting the yield stress for compression from the yield stress for tension. It is typically denoted by the symbol σdy and is measured in units of stress, such as MPa or psi.

What is the Von Mises Criterion?

The Von Mises Criterion is a mathematical model used to predict the failure of ductile materials under combined stresses. It states that a material will yield when the von Mises stress (a combination of normal and shear stresses) reaches a critical value.

How is the Von Mises Criterion used in engineering?

The Von Mises Criterion is used in engineering to ensure that a material will not fail under combined stresses. It is commonly used in the design of structures and components to determine the maximum allowable stress levels.

What are the limitations of the Von Mises Criterion?

The Von Mises Criterion is only applicable to ductile materials, as it does not take into account the potential for brittle failure in brittle materials. It also assumes that the material is isotropic and homogeneous, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.