How do I calculate the yield pressure for a Bingham plastic in a tube?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Peter Hessellund
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I have three questions.
1. How do I calculate the yield pressure for a Bingham plastic in a tube if I am given:
Length of tube
Diameter of tube
Yield stress of liquid

2. Is it possible to engineer a liquid to have a specific yield stress ?
3. What kind of material would be suited for engineering a specific yield stress? Could it be done with silicon oils or could it be done with additives to water?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Peter Hessellund said:
I have three questions.
1. How do I calculate the yield pressure for a Bingham plastic in a tube if I am given:
Length of tube
Diameter of tube
Yield stress of liquid

2. Is it possible to engineer a liquid to have a specific yield stress ?
3. What kind of material would be suited for engineering a specific yield stress? Could it be done with silicon oils or could it be done with additives to water?
I don't quite understand your first question. Are you asking how much of a pressure difference is required before the bingham plastic begins to flow?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Peter Hessellund
Yes I am asking how much pressure difference is required for flow. I think that I have read somewhere that a larger initial pressure is required for small diameters.
 
Hi Chester
You already answered the first question for me. I was googeling yield pressure and getting nothing. The right words were the ones you used in your reply to me:)
I still need answers for the two last questions.
The formula is:
upload_2016-12-29_7-33-22.png

Found in this PDF
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9780470516430.app7/pdf
 
Peter Hessellund said:
Hi Chester
You already answered the first question for me. I was googeling yield pressure and getting nothing. The right words were the ones you used in your reply to me:)
I still need answers for the two last questions.
The formula is:
View attachment 110883
Found in this PDF
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9780470516430.app7/pdf
Nicely done. For questions 2 and 3, I recommend that you google Bingham plastics and dilatent fluids and see what you come up with.
 
Hi Chester

I have already been googeling for hours on question 2 and 3 but the only thing that comes up is general stuff about ketchup or specific stuff about solving the governing equations or simulations. I have so far been unable to find a nice catalogue from a supplier producing a liquid with the desired yield stress or a company claiming to be able to make tailor made liquids with the desired properties. I have not been able to find a chemical formulation of a liquid with at attached yield stress number at all. I am looking for a liquid with a yield stress in the range of 150 Pa to 250 Pa with as low a viscosity as possible or maybe even a shear thinning liquid. The liquid can not be a suspension.
 
Peter Hessellund said:
Hi Chester

I have already been googeling for hours on question 2 and 3 but the only thing that comes up is general stuff about ketchup or specific stuff about solving the governing equations or simulations. I have so far been unable to find a nice catalogue from a supplier producing a liquid with the desired yield stress or a company claiming to be able to make tailor made liquids with the desired properties. I have not been able to find a chemical formulation of a liquid with at attached yield stress number at all. I am looking for a liquid with a yield stress in the range of 150 Pa to 250 Pa with as low a viscosity as possible or maybe even a shear thinning liquid. The liquid can not be a suspension.
Ugh. Most Bingham plastics are typically going to be suspensions. I was thinking of something like drilling mud, which is a suspension of bentonite clay particles. You need to find something that forms a gel, so maybe something with polar molecules with ends that attract. Unfortunately, this is about all that I can help. I don't know much more.